Reader question opportunity with golfing legend Tom Watson!

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Afternoon all, and hope you enjoyed all the action from Muirfield.

Just as we were all fearing a massive come-down first day back in the office after the 450-mile drive home, a cracking opportunity has presented itself...

You now have the chance to put the questions you want to ask to five-time Open champion and all-round golfing legend, Tom Watson.:lol:

So fire away... whatever you like, whether about his career, The Open, Turnberry 1977 or indeed 2009, life away from the golf course, hobbies/interests etc...

* Please note, to run your question in the magazine feature we will need to have your real name and home town/county too, so please remember to include that in your post

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Could you feel how much support you had from the General Public going into the 2009 Play-off?

Ian Murgatroyd
Aylesbury
Bucks

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Considering that you are still competing at the highest level (refer to the 09 open championship 2nd place) , if you could have one more major, what would it be and why?
Brendy Nelson
Bangor.
Co. Down.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does he realise the torn loyalties he has caused by agreeing to be Ryder Cup Captain again?! We love to support Europe but Tom has a special place in our hearts too...

Amanda Rawson
Spaldwick
Cambs

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Tom good luck for the Ryder Cup, can you tell us who would be your pick as captain from the past/present/future as your top player for the ryder cup.

david munn
Ardrossan
Ayrshire

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tom is my golf idol and a true gent so I would like to ask;

In the '09 Open on the 18th, considering how legendary your short game is, what made you take the putter over a wedge to get up on to the green and if you had the chance of a re-run, would you change club?

Greig Mitchell
Carnock
Fife

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As ryder cup captain, if you could have 1 player to pick from the Europe squad who would it be?

James Boyd
Dumfries

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't really think of a decent question, just wanted to say that I was at Turnberry in 77 as a 4 month old baby and Tom (along with Seve) was my hero growing up.

Absolute gentleman, wonderful swing and a great example of how the game should be played. Thanks very much for everything you've given to the game.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You always speak so passionately and eloquently about links golf. Do you think it is to the detriment of the game that so few tournaments are played on links courses?

Cameron Roy
Leeds

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
In light of the Golf at the Olympics and the growth of the sport in the Far East should the US relinquish one of it's 3 Majors for somewhere outside USA/Europe?

Luke Phillips
Teddington
Middlesex

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you believe that the players winning majors today would be able to win during the 70's and 80's with the difference in equipment? If so who?

Thanks for everything you have done for our game.

Chris Milton
Aberdare
South Wales

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tom is my golfing idol. He is an example to all golfers young and old. A True legend. The Duel in the Sun was one of the greatest moments in sport let alone golf.

I have so many questions to ask. But I do not feel worthy.

I'd like to take Tom back to Carnoustie in 1975. How did he prepare for his first Open and was he surprised to win the Claret Jug at his first attempt?

Mike Stillman
Berkshire

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I just love watching Tom Watson

My question

As a 60 year old mad keen golfer who has had both hips replaced in the past 3 years, how pleased is Tom with his operation and did he wish he had done it sooner?

Chris Dorsett
Ashford
Kent

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Nearly 30 years ago I had the pleasure and privilege of watching Tom Watson play a round just before the Open at West Kent GC and got to see up close exactly how he could work a golf ball. I would like to ask Tom if he feels that, with the notable exception of his namesake Bubba, the changes in modern equipment are killing the art of working the ball and making the art of the short game, and even the longer game, very one-dimensional?

Richard Parr
Worcester Park,
Surrey

As I've always said Tom would be part of my dream fourball so I guess my question would be - Fancy a game next time you're in London?? Adam, Greenwich

Question for Adam Cooke of Greenwich, if Tom says yes, do you need a playing partner, caddie, cheerleader, scoreboard carrier or pretty much anything else?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I do like Amanda's question :thup: I think everyone loves this TW shame the other one isn't such a gent.

Having watched your Lessons of a Lifetime DVD I loved the bit where the producer asked you to play a bunker shot a bit worse because you made it look too easy. But were there any embarrassing outtakes and what happeneed?