Re-training for a trade

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Plumbing is hard graft, that I do know. I have done a fair bit, both for myself, and at work (unqualified, and self taught). If I get the chance now I pay some one else to do it, and it is money well spent.

If I was going down the plumbing route I would do boiler servicing. Money for old rope.

As an aside, I am staggered how much train drivers earn, when they are glorified bus drivers.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just done the opposite of the op and gone from being an electrician to working in a factory which makes soft drinks. I would seriously think long and hard about what you suggest, going in to work in somebody elses house is crap, not too bad if you get on an industrial or commercial gig. Most of my mates have either left or are looking to leave the trades

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm reading this with interest as I'm 90% certain I'll be looking for a job in a few weeks time.

I have an idea what I'd like to do but will be open to a lot of things when I do start looking. The one thing I don't want to do is what I do now!

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Stuart,

We are in the middle of a big recruitment drive at the moment if your interested in the rail industry.
Looking to recruit around 55 drivers over the next year at various depots.

PM me if you need any more info or advice about applying.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Has anyone gone through a career change that involved re-training? I'm looking at trades in particular. Totally fed up with my low level managererial job which I've never really understood and involves sitting in front of computer 90% of the day and dealing with one numpty after another on the phone the rest of the time.

Been thinking of changing for years, I changed jobs last year but stayed in the same field. I feel I made some bad choices when I was young career wise but making a change now fills me with worries over money more thn anything, to carry over the training period whilst paying a mortgage and raising kids. I can get 6 months off the mortgage payments at least which is a help.

With plumbing for example, whcih would be my preferred choice, there are a million and one courses on offer all promising this and that but how do you find a bona-fide fast track intensive course that is worth the paper it's written on and does the training correctly?

I really can't afford to become an apprentice serving 2 years making buttons.

Any helps/thouights at this early stage appreciated.

I've been having very similar thoughts although I'm a few steps below the low level management current job.

Plumbing is what I was thinking about but as you say the 2 years apprenticeship earning basic makes it a no-go.

If you come across any good info please pass it on and I likewise.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone gone through a career change that involved re-training? I'm looking at trades in particular. Totally fed up with my low level managererial job which I've never really understood and involves sitting in front of computer 90% of the day and dealing with one numpty after another on the phone the rest of the time.

Been thinking of changing for years, I changed jobs last year but stayed in the same field. I feel I made some bad choices when I was young career wise but making a change now fills me with worries over money more thn anything, to carry over the training period whilst paying a mortgage and raising kids. I can get 6 months off the mortgage payments at least which is a help.

With plumbing for example, whcih would be my preferred choice, there are a million and one courses on offer all promising this and that but how do you find a bona-fide fast track intensive course that is worth the paper it's written on and does the training correctly?

I really can't afford to become an apprentice serving 2 years making buttons.

Any helps/thouights at this early stage appreciated.

I've been having very similar thoughts although I'm a few steps below the low level management current job.

Plumbing is what I was thinking about but as you say the 2 years apprenticeship earning basic makes it a no-go.

If you come across any good info please pass it on and I likewise.

Surely its a 4 year apprenticeship it was when i started, Stuart i wouldn't do one of those mickey mouse course as i wouldn't trust anyone who's done a 6 month course to do work for me ,no disrespect.

What about Health and Safety try doing the Nebosh Course its straight forward enough and is common sense,oil companies are crying out for people in this field.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
ken_A - good luck, i hope it comes off for you

But the PhD and getting Chartered both seem a bit mutually exclusive. Do you really need the PhD to teach ? And what are you loking at - teh Universities or the Technical colleges?
There is a brain drain of technical civil engineers with practical experience out of the industry as work has dried up for most of teh big players, and many of the small ones. So you shoudl have a good set of skills in practical, theoretical (from your masters) and academic studies.
There will be a resource crisis for good civil engineers in their 30s in the next few years as the shrinkages we have seen these past couple of years come round.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I qualified with a degree in sound engineering when I was 22. Couldn't get the job I wanted and worked in retail for a few years while living in Wrexham, Wales. Came home to N. Ireland when I was 26 and worked for a while making roof trusses. Hated it, so then became a carer in a nursing home. Loved helping people so decided to train as a mental health nurse which took 3 years and was difficult financially. Now been qualified for 2 years and love it.

Retraining is a big decision and a hard one to make but I'm sure you'll find it worth while. Just don't rush any decisions.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I qualified with a degree in sound engineering when I was 22. Couldn't get the job I wanted and worked in retail for a few years while living in Wrexham, Wales. Came home to N. Ireland when I was 26 and worked for a while making roof trusses. Hated it, so then became a carer in a nursing home. Loved helping people so decided to train as a mental health nurse which took 3 years and was difficult financially. Now been qualified for 2 years and love it.

Retraining is a big decision and a hard one to make but I'm sure you'll find it worth while. Just don't rush any decisions.

Clonoe ?

Del

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never to late to have a change. Been self-employed decorator for 30 yrs, but thought I would re-train as an electrician, took just over 2 yrs, doing it part time but well worth the time and money.

Still decorating as well, but now can offer both trades.

Was told by many that in this day and age work in the building trade is hard to find, but I find if you price you work right, there is lots to be found.

I work on my own but finding I'm turning work away as I have to much at the moment.

So just go for it.

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
Big difference between plumbers and heating engineers/gas fitters.Gas fitting seems to be where the money is, those guys can charge what they like.

Re-training is very 'doable' these days though so why not? My brother re-trained as an electrician after 20 odd years as a CNC programmer in a factory. The training took 6 weeks at our local college and he's now self employed and very busy.

I don't see the jobs out there though so self employment must be the best option and needs some careful consideration. I think that the comment about working in other people's houses shouldn't be ignored; it can be a crappy way to earn a living if you're the wrong kind of person.

Good luck

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
Should have said...

I'm starting a health & safety course tomorrow with the ultimate aim of an IOSH qualification next year and I'm 47; never too old to learn I think.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can the training only take 6 weeks when an apprenticeship takes four years :D :D

No company I ever worked for would employ anybody that had only 6 weeks training.

SteveF

Medal Winner
Visit site
How can the training only take 6 weeks when an apprenticeship takes four years :D :D

No company I ever worked for would employ anybody that had only 6 weeks training.

Look into it; learning to be an electrician is not that big a deal. Domestic installers don't have to have a lot of training. That sort of course might not get you a job but it will qualify you as a domestic installer and you can work for yourself.

Apprentices are a different deal, they spend the first 2 years sweeping up and making tea. Apprenticeships are for kids trying to get into the workplace.