re-shafting irons

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am thinking of re-shafting my irons for something a little stiffer. Will this be ok to do by a pro? will they perform ok or does re-shafted iron not feel as good as factory set one?

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Well - how do clubs get assembled in the first place? With shafts glued onto the heads.
Re-shafting them is exactly the same process - any self respecting pro should be able perform this simple task without any issue. However, judging by some of the alleged pros at some clubs I've seen over the years, it's amazing they have the nous to tie their own shoe laces.

D

Deleted member 15344

I am thinking of re-shafting my irons for something a little stiffer. Will this be ok to do by a pro? will they perform ok or does re-shafted iron not feel as good as factory set one?

Did you not get yourself custom fit stiff anyway a couple months ago ? Why are you thinking of reshafting them

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Hmmm. 89mph with your 6-iron puts you fairly and squarely in stiff territory in my opinion. To be honest, good old DG S300 would be a good combo with the AP2's and frankly I'm a little bit mystified why the custom fit would recommend XP R300. Dare we ask where you got fitted?

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hmmm. 89mph with your 6-iron puts you fairly and squarely in stiff territory in my opinion. To be honest, good old DG S300 would be a good combo with the AP2's and frankly I'm a little bit mystified why the custom fit would recommend XP R300. Dare we ask where you got fitted?

i dont want to slander a pro but the shaft stiffness is not the only issue, they are 1/2" longer and should be standard, 1 degree upright and should be 2 degree flat! so annoyed

D

Deleted member 15344

i dont want to slander a pro but the shaft stiffness is not the only issue, they are 1/2" longer and should be standard, 1 degree upright and should be 2 degree flat! so annoyed

The custom fit should still be under warrenty surely ? go back and speak to him about your worries

what sort of ball flight are you getting and why do think they should be standard and 2 degree flat ?

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site

Well - I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you need to start from scratch - possibly elsewhere! Once you can find out your ideal baseline specs, then your current set can be adjusted to suit. In any case, I'd be inclined to talk it over with the pro first and tell them you're not happy and what they can do to put it right. It's not like AP2's are the cheapest commodity in the world and if they aren't right for you then a phone call to Titleist UK would be my next move.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The custom fit should still be under warrenty surely ? go back and speak to him about your worries

what sort of ball flight are you getting and why do think they should be standard and 2 degree flat ?

i got re fitted in x2 totally different places and both came out with the same spec, both could not believe how wrong the clubs were, i have to send the clubs to titleist to have lie adjusted and 1/2 shortened 175 pounds. The price for titleist to re shaft is to expensive.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well - I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you need to start from scratch - possibly elsewhere! Once you can find out your ideal baseline specs, then your current set can be adjusted to suit. In any case, I'd be inclined to talk it over with the pro first and tell them you're not happy and what they can do to put it right. It's not like AP2's are the cheapest commodity in the world and if they aren't right for you then a phone call to Titleist UK would be my next move.

pro offered to adjust lie for me free in his workshop. Sorry but no thanks, Titleist uk did not want to know when i phoned them told me to go see a titleist retailer

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Yes it can be done - by any competent fitter/Pro. Not all Pros do this though, but quite a few can send them to someone competent to get done.

Re-shafted irons often feel more secure as more care is generally taken by the fitter than by the OEM. OEM's priority is throughput with acceptable quality. Fitter would normally put quality first.

Re-shafting is a relatively expensive solution. Much cheaper way to achieve the same result, with no change to the quality, is to sell the 'rejects' and buy replacements the way you want. You might even be able to afford a few boxes of Prov1Xs with the savings!:whistle:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
pro offered to adjust lie for me free in his workshop. Sorry but no thanks, Titleist uk did not want to know when i phoned them told me to go see a titleist retailer

If that was their response to me Id be finding another retailer, but for a different brand of clubs. Chuck the AP2s on ebay and get something else that is fitted correctly imo

D

Deleted member 15344

i got re fitted in x2 totally different places and both came out with the same spec, both could not believe how wrong the clubs were, i have to send the clubs to titleist to have lie adjusted and 1/2 shortened 175 pounds. The price for titleist to re shaft is to expensive.

Then take those results to the pro who did the fitting and he should adjust them

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes it can be done - by any competent fitter/Pro. Not all Pros do this though, but quite a few can send them to someone competent to get done.

Re-shafted irons often feel more secure as more care is generally taken by the fitter than by the OEM. OEM's priority is throughput with acceptable quality. Fitter would normally put quality first.

Re-shafting is a relatively expensive solution. Much cheaper way to achieve the same result, with no change to the quality, is to sell the 'rejects' and buy replacements the way you want. You might even be able to afford a few boxes of Prov1Xs with the savings!:whistle:

Totally agree, perfect irons mint condition but not for me, replacing can be best option

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
It all sounds like a bit of a mess to me. It also sounds like your pro is not an authorised Titleist retailer either, otherwise the work and any adjustments would be guaranteed and free to alter if they were wrong. From the sound of it, your AP2's were hastily bought and sold on to you without any level of expertise. It just goes to show it pays to use authorised routes for buying high end equipment, because you have found out to your own personal cost that you have been ripped off and out of pocket to make it right. I hope it works out for you.