Re: Hitting Fairway Woods

BlueFraggle

Medal Winner
Visit site

Hi everyone,

Only just joined this forum so this is my first ever post.

Took up the game about 12-18 months ago and am completely hooked on it. Managed to get my handicap down to 22 and am determined to get this down as low as I can. Shot my best ever of 84 last weekend :D

One problem I am having is hitting Fairway Woods, up to the point where I no longer use my 5 wood and have been concentrating on hitting a consistent 4-iron or Hybrid Rescue instead.

The problem I have is I tend to top the ball sending it rolling about 50 yards down the fairway, or worse I completely mess up the strike and hit the turf in front of the ball moving it about 2 yards.

I know everyone plays golf differently and has different setups etc but are there any simple tips you guys can give me to help me start re-using my Fairway Wood.

Cheers in advance

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site

not so much a tip, as something to chew on.

I play with a guy who's a really solid player (normally shoots high 70s/low 80s). He just can't hit a fairway wood. Has tried and failed and now uses 2 and 3 hybrids. He said it just wasn't worth the time to practice enough with his fairways - it would be better to work on his wedges and putting.

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Have a watch of this, it may help. Unless the ball lie is pretty much spot on, you may be better off playing an iron.
[video=youtube;y8nYG4ha3ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8nYG4ha3ys[/video]

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hi everyone,

Only just joined this forum so this is my first ever post.

Took up the game about 12-18 months ago and am completely hooked on it. Managed to get my handicap down to 22 and am determined to get this down as low as I can. Shot my best ever of 84 last weekend :D

One problem I am having is hitting Fairway Woods, up to the point where I no longer use my 5 wood and have been concentrating on hitting a consistent 4-iron or Hybrid Rescue instead.

The problem I have is I tend to top the ball sending it rolling about 50 yards down the fairway, or worse I completely mess up the strike and hit the turf in front of the ball moving it about 2 yards.

I know everyone plays golf differently and has different setups etc but are there any simple tips you guys can give me to help me start re-using my Fairway Wood.

Cheers in advance

Welcome to the forum.

Here's some tips.....

1. Dont think about hitting at the ball, instead swing through (let the ball get in the way).
2. Dont swing too hard, swing smooth.
3. Set up at address with your arms straight but without tension.
4. Dont allow your left arm to bend in your backswing.
5. Imagine you have a 7 iron in your hand, put the same swing on your 5W.
6. Play the shot with the ball nearer your left foot.
7. Turn dont sway.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

not so much a tip, as something to chew on.

I play with a guy who's a really solid player (normally shoots high 70s/low 80s). He just can't hit a fairway wood. Has tried and failed and now uses 2 and 3 hybrids. He said it just wasn't worth the time to practice enough with his fairways - it would be better to work on his wedges and putting.

i would go along with this. i am only now thinking of putting the 3 wood back in my bag. i took it out about two years ago. it was just costing me shots in the long run. stick another hybid or wedge in until you have time to put some work in on it.

its the short game that will get your handicap down from 22 in no time. chipping, putting and wedge from 110 ! nail that first!