Re-gripping clubs

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve had my clubs (Yonex Z Force) for about two years and I’m very happy with them. Is there a rough guide regarding when to have them re-gripped? What are the advantages? Rough cost?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you feel them getting smooth I would say. No need to change based on the calendar.

Advantages, you have confidence swinging the club that it won't twist or fly put of your hands.

Cost, it depends on the grip to a large extent. Some will also offer a discount for a full set, others just per grip. I need to get mind done as they have gone smooth so I'll be interested to hear comments.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had mine done begining of season

Id do every other year if I was playing say 50 rounds a year

Cost me under £100 as my mates a pro so if I bring the grips he will do the set for £20

But rough costs £100-150 for a set depending what grip you pick

Basic golf pride £6 .. couple quid a club to fit

Best thing to do is get some grips from eBay .. find a pro selling golf prides or whatever and then get a good price and have them fit at a local pro shop

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had mine done begining of season

Id do every other year if I was playing say 50 rounds a year

Cost me under £100 as my mates a pro so if I bring the grips he will do the set for £20

But rough costs £100-150 for a set depending what grip you pick

Basic golf pride £6 .. couple quid a club to fit

Best thing to do is get some grips from eBay .. find a pro selling golf prides or whatever and then get a good price and have them fit at a local pro shop

be careful buying grips on ebay, esp golf pride, huge amount of fakes knocking about

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is very easy to do and loads of videos on Youtube to assist. I use to do it regularly but have become lazy and so as my club pro doesn't hold too much choice in stock anything I want I order online and he'll fit for the cost of the tape/fluid and labour. Just had these put on (in Fulham black and white naturally) with my winnings from my recent win (and a few quid from my 3rd as well)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
be careful buying grips on ebay, esp golf pride, huge amount of fakes knocking about

This is true. I bought some a couple of years back for a third of the normal price, when they arrived I was sure they were fakes, albeit pretty good fakes - the marking was just a bit off. I still used them, and they did last well over a season. Some of the fakes come out of the same factory as the genuine ones, maybe seconds, maybe just out the side door. I'm not advocating buying fakes, I wouldn't do it intentionally, just beware that the cheaper they are, the more likely they are to be fake. If you're using ebay, look for sale stuff from Gamola or Adore Golf Grips, they do some good offers on bulk buys.

I bought my most recent grips from Adore. It took about an hour in total to redo 7 irons (woods and wedges are new, no use wasting the grips on them). I went from normal size to mid-size, so had to get rid of all the old tape layers. Took about 40 minutes to strip off the old grips and all the old tape (use a hair dryer to heat the tape, comes off very easy then). Once prepped, took about 5 minutes a grip to push the new ones on. You can do without, but it is really handy to have a good solid vice with a golf club rubber vice clamp to hold the club firm, makes life so much easier. Adore do a kit which includes the clamp, grip solvent (more eco friendly than white spirit) and tape, for about a tenner. Use a tray to catch the solvent so that you can put the excess back in the bottle and re-use it next time.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
This is true. I bought some a couple of years back for a third of the normal price, when they arrived I was sure they were fakes, albeit pretty good fakes - the marking was just a bit off. I still used them, and they did last well over a season. Some of the fakes come out of the same factory as the genuine ones, maybe seconds, maybe just out the side door. I'm not advocating buying fakes, I wouldn't do it intentionally, just beware that the cheaper they are, the more likely they are to be fake. If you're using ebay, look for sale stuff from Gamola or Adore Golf Grips, they do some good offers on bulk buys.

I bought my most recent grips from Adore. It took about an hour in total to redo 7 irons (woods and wedges are new, no use wasting the grips on them). I went from normal size to mid-size, so had to get rid of all the old tape layers. Took about 40 minutes to strip off the old grips and all the old tape (use a hair dryer to heat the tape, comes off very easy then). Once prepped, took about 5 minutes a grip to push the new ones on. You can do without, but it is really handy to have a good solid vice with a golf club rubber vice clamp to hold the club firm, makes life so much easier. Adore do a kit which includes the clamp, grip solvent (more eco friendly than white spirit) and tape, for about a tenner. Use a tray to catch the solvent so that you can put the excess back in the bottle and re-use it next time.

Unfortunately I can't change a plug, let alone ...... so it's off to the pro for me, but in reading this thread may try it on an old club first and see where I get to

GBC

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got my 3yo irons regripped a few months ago, and it has made a difference. I think going for Align grips helped a lot, at least I know I am gripping the club correctly now!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cleaning your grips often can prolong their life and prevent the need for regripping for another year, save up the money doing that and get some really nice grips on your clubs!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Unfortunately I can't change a plug, let alone ...... so it's off to the pro for me, but in reading this thread may try it on an old club first and see where I get to

GBC
It's really pretty easy to do but it can be a little worrying the first time you try it. The other thing which is really useful is a hook blade on a Stanley Knife to make it easy to cut the old grip off. Also safer for you. Just remember to use lots of solvent (cheap white spirit is fine) and I tend to put a small mark on the shaft showing the line on the old grip before I take it off to make lining up then new ones easier. The rubber shaft grip is also a godsend.
As has been said, you can get cheap grips off Gamola or Adore (I got some briliant Champ ones that, sadly, they don't make anymore) and there are lots of videos to show you how to do it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It's really pretty easy to do but it can be a little worrying the first time you try it. The other thing which is really useful is a hook blade on a Stanley Knife to make it easy to cut the old grip off. Also safer for you. Just remember to use lots of solvent (cheap white spirit is fine) and I tend to put a small mark on the shaft showing the line on the old grip before I take it off to make lining up then new ones easier. The rubber shaft grip is also a godsend.
As has been said, you can get cheap grips off Gamola or Adore (I got some briliant Champ ones that, sadly, they don't make anymore) and there are lots of videos to show you how to do it.

forgot to add this in my post above

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
personal view is that grips last a long time these days. Appreciate guys with really fast swing speed might change a bit often, but I'd say it's very unlikely grips would need changed after 2 years for a recreational player.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wish they would bring out undersize grips in 360 format

I play undersize in all my clubs yet can't get them in 360 grips

Would be great and easier to do myself

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I got my irons done, I got 4 layers of tape to make it thicker. What tape should I use?
Four layers is more or less midsize under a standard grip.
Have you tried midsize?
Masking tape will do the first three layers then one layer of double sided tape to finish.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I change my grips, I change all 13 clubs and only leave the putter alone. That way I have consistancy of grip feel through the range.
It's easy to do yourself, and will save you money in the long run.

Fabia999

Visit site
Four layers is more or less midsize under a standard grip.
Have you tried midsize?
Masking tape will do the first three layers then one layer of double sided tape to finish.

I haven't, I'm needing to regrip my driver. Do I need to specifically search for driver grips or is it a one size fits all kind of thing?