Rangefinder.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I have a cheaper one, shot saver I think. It got a little wet 1 round, and i mean just a little. I can hardly read the numbers now.

But it worked fine before this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Any thoughts on the Garmin Approach Z80

I know nothing about rangefinder devices but can probably get this for a good price - though they are an awfy expensive replacement for my eyes and my brain.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any thoughts on the Garmin Approach Z80

I know nothing about rangefinder devices but can probably get this for a good price - though they are an awfy expensive replacement for my eyes and my brain.

I have one of these and I love it.... it’s an excellent piece of kit but like you say is expensive.... I managed to get one brand new for £325.

I don’t really use the plays like distances or the blind shot pointer thing(both features can’t be featured in medals) because I know my course but probably better on courses you don’t know.

The thing I love is the gps in the sight with distances to all hazards then gives a line over the green to show exactly where flag is which is helpful at my track(as you know) where judging where pin is can be tricky especially when you can’t see bottom of flag. It’s also rechargeable battery so not having to replace every now and again.

There should be an indicator on it though to show when in tournament mode though as people could easily cheat and people would be none the wiser. (If people wanna cheat tho they will anyway)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bushnell is still 'King' in my book!

Had a couple (1 fell off bag, 'User Error'!) and only 'problem' has been rate thye eat batteries - though used far too often per round!! :mad:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a cheaper one, shot saver I think. It got a little wet 1 round, and i mean just a little. I can hardly read the numbers now.

But it worked fine before this.

normally a sign of a dying battery

I have had two of these the first one stopped working after about 2 years (faulty button) but the second one is on it's third year. It does not get used a lot though because I mainly use a GPS unit.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I've had a couple. The Suaoki one lasted only a few months, the Precesion NX7 is still going well, I think. I say this because since I starting using my Garmin watch, I rarely use the laser.
Good for slope, particularly at an unknown course (only when allowed to use slope!) of course, but not much else for me now.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Check out Boblov. A chap I know (an elite archer) recommended them to me. Great prices compared with the likes of Bushnell.

I'll probably buy one of those if my Nikon Coolshot ever packs in.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
There is one coming up on Amazon prime day at 9:15. Current pride £90, no idea what it will go down to.

Do you know which brand/model?

I'm interested by that Boblov one people have mentioned and I've got a £25 gift card for Amazon so could come in handy for that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Go for it Hogie! Join the 20th (sic) Century!

I am in serious contemplation. Though when I mentioned it to my wife and told her how much they cost her response was 1) How Much? and 2) I should sort out my swing before worrying about distances...

And of course she is right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I am in serious contemplation. Though when I mentioned it to my wife and told her how much they cost her response was 1) How Much? and 2) I should sort out my swing before worrying about distances...

And of course she is right.
H'mm! I'm not sure about that! Surely your swing is 'sufficiently' sorted by now! And I daresay 'sorting your swing out' to the extent required to make similar gains that the confidence of knowing the precise distance to the target gives is likely to be more expensive than a rangefinder/GPS.

I'd suggest you don't go full out for the likes of brand spanking new Nikon/Bushnell/SkyCaddie straight away though.

Btw. Now that I'm actively golfing - and distance is becoming consistent - these days (after hip replacement) I'm also contemplating a RF. as it's getting a bit embarrassing asking PPs for a reading. Still haven't got distances anywhere near consistent yet though. Last week, a 6-iron went 50+ yards further (into pond at back, 15+ yards past pin) than a 7-iron did a couple of weeks earlier, just scraping over lake in front!

Last edited:

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
+1 for Nikon. I have the Coolshot 20, which works perfectly. Cant see what paying more gets you for the extra money.

Another vote for the Coolshot 20. Only problems I've ever had with it have been with the user, not the laser - all the tech in the world doesn't help if you point it at the wrong thing :-(

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Bumping this thread instead of starting another, has anyone got or used the Inesis 900 rangefinder at all? It got good reviews from MGS and the reviews on Decathlon's website are mainly positive, but looking for some real world views.