Rangefinder or GPS watch

Philbleasy

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi guys I currently have a rangefinder but thinking of getting rid and getting a gps watch. What are people's thoughts on the 2 devices

G

guest100718

Hi guys I currently have a rangefinder but thinking of getting rid and getting a gps watch. What are people's thoughts on the 2 devices

rangefinder as I kept forgetting to charge the GPS.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it depends on your course to a large extent.
My last club didn't have a coloured flag system so you couldn't tell if the flag was front, middle or back.
Get it wrong and you could be faced with a 30 yard putt. Some greens were raised and you played up from below the level of the green, making it difficult to judge from 150-200 out. By using the laser you know where the flag is.
New club has far fewer of these and so the laser is going to get less use, plus they have a coloured flag system for front, middle and back.
The vast majority of us only need those 3 numbers and knowledge of where the flag is.
Currently I use laser and GPS but not a watch as I haven't worn one in 35 years and it feels odd!
Additionally, lasers are useless in mist/fog and only work on line of sight.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Combination of the 2 could be beneficial, if flags aren't traffic lights then zap the pin with the rangefinder then quick glance at the watch to see how far on the pin is or how little green may be at the back of it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I use both. GPS is more convenient but I often use the rangefinder within wedge range or where I have a carry to make. Finder is also useful to measure distance from bunkers if you've got a simple GPS which only gives front, middle & back.

D

Deleted member 16999

Both for me, especially at away courses, my own I tend to use the laser more.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have both, on home course rarely take GPS and rely on rangefinder - away courses always go armed with both but still use rangefinder more often than GPS.

If I could only have one - would be rangefinder as use it more and no messing around with charging it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just a question to those who don't use a GPS much due to the pain of charging it......

Do you use an electric trolley..?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just a question to those who don't use a GPS much due to the pain of charging it......

Do you use an electric trolley..?

No, once it broke it has been sat there for 18 months and I carry or use a push trolley - may get it fixed this summer.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for both. Until very recently I just used a GPS watch (the excellent Tom Tom 2), but in an effort to improve my approach game I got a laser. Haven't used it more than a few rounds but really like the added precision, even if I need to work on my game to take full advantage ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did but a cheap rangefinder (Suaoki) that has actually worked quite well from 100 yards and in but any further than that I use the Garmin G8. I'm forced to use the rangefinder from that near the green as the places I hit it there is rarely a line of sight on anything

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm another for having both- really only use the laser for 7 iron down.... sometimes have to tell myself off for zapping the flag when I'm 180 yards away

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just picked up a cheap 2nd hand Bushnell Medalist on eBay and used it for the first time this weekend. Wow. Only used it 4 times, max 150 out I think, once the estimate using my S3 watch was spot on and the other three times I was out by as much as 10 yards. A couple of holes at mine are not mapped properly or the green is too deep and unsighted for the colour of the flag to tell you exactly where it is, how many times have u walked up to a red flag and thought "that ought to be yellow"? I'm now a firm convert to watch for long shots and laser in close. 3 of those shots I put to birdie distance and converted two of them, had I depended on the watch alone I'd have been a club out one way or the other each time.

If you can afford the advantage - why not take it?