Range mats

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
As a beginner I've noticed when practicing on mats my shots are getting loads better and more consistent but when I try on the course it's a different ball game!
I can appreciate that mats are nice and level with no awkward lies so I know that makes things easier also I know in time with practice on the course I will adapt to each different situation but my question is should I practice more on grass say a playing field? Or stick to the range? The reason I ask is some mates say range mats are good and others say they don't give much feedback and should be given a wide birth!

Any views on this people?
Thanks in advance

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Any practice, on mats or anything, generally has to be better than no practice. For me, the biggest problem with mats is that you can regularly hit fractionally behind the ball ie fat and the club will bounce into the ball and the result won't be too bad. If you do the same thing on the course you will get a heavy muddy hit that is likely to go nowhere, so you so need to assess the quality of strike at the range very carefully

Chris

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my humble opinion, if you have access to practice on grass then definitely choose that over range mats.

The thing with range mats is that if you hit a shot slightly fat, it might end up ok, because you can't take a huge chunk of turf with you when you hit fat on mats. I practice at the range on mats out of necessity, not because I want to.

That's not to say mats shouldn't be used at all, but just be careful about what and how you practice on mats and you should be fine.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any practice, on mats or anything, generally has to be better than no practice. For me, the biggest problem with mats is that you can regularly hit fractionally behind the ball ie fat and the club will bounce into the ball and the result won't be too bad. If you do the same thing on the course you will get a heavy muddy hit that is likely to go nowhere, so you so need to assess the quality of strike at the range very carefully

Chris

Which is pretty much exactly what I was going to put.

Ali-G

Hacker
Visit site
It also seems to me that the range balls (srixon) don't seem to fly as far as a reasonable quality non-range ball. Somebody said that they are about 5% lighter (but not sure if this is true). The net result is that on the course I reckon I hit a 6 iron up to 20yds further than on the range......I guess it could be 'all in the head', but I am sure I hit further on the course.

Bikky73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always hit further at a range. The thing being I'll give the swing a bit more force because if i fluff it, It aint my ball i've got to go look for.

But taking that into account, I've got more than 20m long in my garden, but only 5m wide. So for me, and the mrs who's just starting, my mat, and airballs i got for christmas, would be better than nothing for practice? I hope so :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I never worry too much about distances at a driving range. For me its about working on the drills and fixes I've been shown and the quality of the strike. I'll only worry about distance when I go to the club's practice ground and I'm using my own practice balls (old Pro V, Z Star etc) but even then if there isn't a lot in it I'd rather work on direction and ball striking. Why is everyone so hung up on distance at the range and the course.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
mats are ok but if you hit on them too much which I did to start then I find its hard to take a divot on grass or end up hitting it fatter than a really fat bloke who has had an all you can eat buffet every night for the last month

beats no practise at all though as said above

Bikky73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never worry too much about distances at a driving range. For me its about working on the drills and fixes I've been shown and the quality of the strike. I'll only worry about distance when I go to the club's practice ground and I'm using my own practice balls (old Pro V, Z Star etc) but even then if there isn't a lot in it I'd rather work on direction and ball striking. Why is everyone so hung up on distance at the range and the course.

Same reason every bloke is obsessed with his length.... Its a man thing :D

But you're right, I goto a range to try and hit further but straight, but when playing I'm happy if a driver shot goes 150-180 yards, as long as its straight. Which is silly cos my 6iron can do 150yards too. At the range it doesn't matter as much if I slice, the idea is to practice getting further, when you start getting it right, you can employ this on the course. Then I might see some pars :p errm I mean birdies ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that after a while of playing golf you get a feel of how a real ball, on your golf course, would have gone when you strike a range ball. You know through feel if you slice or hook one, fat one or thin one, and certainly when you button it , you really dont need to see the ball go, to know

Chris

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bikky73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But for home use in the back garden... or believe it or not, the SW in the living room through to dining room (PLANTS MOVED) with some air balls :D