Range finders

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would welcome any advice on these. I’m a high handicapper but improving, and accurate yardages would definitely help my game. I am fairly poor at judging distances by sight. I have a very limited attention span for instruction manuals though and I’m not ‘geeky’ regarding technology in any way, so I’d only buy one if they are basically switch-on-and-go.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a cheap one (£40 on amazon) and it isn't amazingly accurate, but it does let me know the ball park number in trying to hit.

I actually much prefer the course guides, since then you get the shape of the green, bunker placements, distances and of course they work if you can't see the flag.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
This is the type my pro was using. It looked easy to use and was very accurate but I think I might feel a bit self conscious with one. A watch or phone style device might be a bit more discreet. Thanks

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I own a Bushnell ion watch bought it used from eBay £40 and its great very accurate also its small so doesn't get in the way, I did buy a Bushnell v4 jolt as my watch wouldn't pick up winter greens, but I found it a bit of a hassle and sold it, the watch however is a keeper and my most valued piece of tech I own

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site

Thanks spongbob, I’m going to get one. Only 110 quid when I was expecting 250 to 300 and the review sounded excellent. Just turn up at the course and it detects everything for you, no setting up or moving on to the next hole. Thanks again
PS. I don’t usually like to wear a watch when playing, but I’m guessing there’s no reason why I can’t just hang it on my bag?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I didn't like wearing my regular watch my switched to the gps watch okay. There are some designed to clip to bag/belt like good buddy ct2

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you want a cheap one, no frills, then look at Suoaki. https://threeoffthetee.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/suaoki-laser-rangefinder.html

I personally don't think it makes a difference if you are a high handicapper, but you must get to know how far you hit each club. Don't worry too much what they are so if a 7 iron only goes 125 then so be it. Learn how far you hit it and then on the course you can see how far you have to go and pick a club (subject to conditions) with a degree of confidence. As your golfing career progresses and you become proficient at the short game you can then use the range finder closer to the flag and work on pitching distances and length of swing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I could've done with one myself on Saturday playing an away match. I struggled with 'Dougal Syndrome' in that I was getting confused over whether greens were very small or far away...:)

I might actually - after all of these years - succumb.