Range balls

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I’ve seen it said quite often that you can’t use range balls to trust distance.

Are they shorter, longer, or just more inconsistent than “real” balls?
Are some better than others?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Loads of variables. Some, like the Srixon ones we use on our practice ground are designed to be reduced distance as we have limited space. Some driving ranges use similar for the same reason. However a lot of ranges also have old balls where the quality has diminished and these may perform differently when hit in terms of flight and distance.

Swango1980

Visit site
As homer says, depends on range ball, but they are usually shorter than normal balls, often significantly. Some designed to go much shorter. But also, manufacturers won't spend loads of money in designing quality range balls for distance, they make their money on actual playing golf balls. Although, I guess if you go to some really quality ranges, they may also use decent spec range balls.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends on what range balls they buy.

Ours are standard distance, we have sufficient distance not have 'shorter' range balls

Ask the owners of the range.

Swango1980

Visit site
Also, if range balls were designed to the same spec as normal.golf balls, it would be a lot cheaper to buy a basket of range balls and steal them for your bag, rather than forking out your money for a nice dozen of Callaway Chromesofts

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Imo you should use ranges for many reasons but distance control is not one of them. If/when you find a model of ball that you decide to stick with use those (not at the range, sometimes even the 150 markers aren’t at 150!)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Also if not changed regularly then the collection cart picking them up will quickly start to smooth out the dimples on the balls, so they don’t perform as intended

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Imo you should use ranges for many reasons but distance control is not one of them. If/when you find a model of ball that you decide to stick with use those (not at the range, sometimes even the 150 markers aren’t at 150!)

I always zap markers for that reason. If the marker is 90yrds and my 100yrd club just gets there, or the 150yrd is 135yrds and my 150yrd club gets there, I know all my distances are 10% out

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I always zap markers for that reason. If the marker is 90yrds and my 100yrd club just gets there, or the 150yrd is 135yrds and my 150yrd club gets there, I know all my distances are 10% out

Or maybe they're in meters ;)

I've yet to see a range marker that states the number followed by a 'm' or 'y' on the distance sign down the range, they just say 135,150 etc

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It all depends on the range ball.

On the Srixon ball you normally see there is lines on them.

If there is one line the ball is a 1 piece ball, if there is 2 lines then it is a 2 piece ball and so on. In some of the better ranges abroad you may see 3 piece range balls. A lot of the balls in the UK will be the 1 piece version as they are cheaper and do not fly as far.

The range local to me, Srixon sent 2 piece balls instead of 1 piece and the owner did not notice until the stock had basically ran out half way through the summer. Turns out most of the balls were in the hedge at the end of the range.

It is mainly the washer that wears the ball down and reduces the dimple effect.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
most range balls are accurate upto 80/100 yards. a range by me uses 60% balls. they fly great but then stop mid-air and drop like a stone. the lines on the ball denote how many pieces they are and the thickness of the lines say what distance percentage they are.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play when you buy a bucket of balls about a third will be standard golf balls of all sorts and makes and types, as will the range balls because we have bought from several different manufacturers through the years.

It was one of my biggest objections when our practice ground became a range as previously I used a large bucket of balls of the same type as I used on the course.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Over time this has become less relevant to me in all honesty (used to be a concern) - I view the balls as relative to each other, but try to focus on strike / shape etc., I've heard range balls go 80%, 60%, the same, that markers are adjusted accordingly, that range balls are mixed selections, that guys are hitting them 300 yards plus out of the range, etc. On the course, for example, my PW should go 110 yards - a few things affect this (weather, lie, strike etc.) but I'm reasonably consistent with this club - it won't go more than 115 unless I thin it, won't go less than 100 unless I fat it / chunk it. At the range, on decent strikes, the variance is about 80 yards to 130 yards. Admittedly, my range uses old balls mixed with newer ones, some are nearly smooth etc., so what I'm after is strike and shot shape and direction. I'm not even a fan of mats, so my range time is fairly limited now unless I can use the grass area.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Many thanks for the responses.
The range I go to most of the time has relatively new Srixon range balls. I’ll checkout the lines on them next time I’m there..

I was thinking of doing a Top Tracer session to try to get distances for my clubs, sounds like it’s probably not worth it!