Raking Bunkers, Aaargh!!!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played today at what I would consider a decent course and this is how I found quite a few bunkers...

KGiffgP.jpg

... are some folk just too lazy to rake? It would appear to have been just one person (or group) as I have never seen so many like this in a single round.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
For Jan and Feb we've gone to rake and place in the bunkers which seems to be working well, judging from the side of picture could this have been in place ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a pro am many years ago (about 17 handicap at the time) when I ended up in a foot print like the one on the left of the photo.

" How do I play this?" I asked the Pro

He took a quick look and said " Mod Edit” (infraction issued”if I know" and walked off

Last edited by a moderator:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I used to play with a guy who I used to constantly have a go at for not raking bunkers. Then he landed in a big foot print one day and went mental. I just laughed at him and said ”that’s #*#** karma!”

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played today at what I would consider a decent course and this is how I found quite a few bunkers...

KGiffgP.jpg

... are some folk just too lazy to rake? It would appear to have been just one person (or group) as I have never seen so many like this in a single round.
Doesn't look like they were made by golf shoes, probably just kids or some yobs passing through. If I see a bunker in that condition on my course , I will rake it myself.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sometimes es there aren't enough rakes.
At the zoo we have 1 take per bunker regardless of how big it is.
Its easy to be playing from one side of one of the bigger ones and have a 60 yard round trip just to get the rake.
Not an excuse by any means but a reason why bunkers sometimes dont get raked.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Doesn't look like they were made by golf shoes, probably just kids or some yobs passing through. If I see a bunker in that condition on my course , I will rake it myself.
I agree. The first print on the left looks very deep almost like a boot and none seem to have any form of spike mark.

While I think it's very lazy that people in front don't rake bunkers, and it's a problem we sadly come across especially on a Saturday when two roll up groups before my one have already gone out, does it not beg the old point that a bunker is considered a hazard and so play it as it lies. We also have issues with wildlife wandering through the bunkers and sometimes there will be deer prints especially early morning and there is nothing to do except play it as best you can

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sometimes es there aren't enough rakes.
At the zoo we have 1 take per bunker regardless of how big it is.
Its easy to be playing from one side of one of the bigger ones and have a 60 yard round trip just to get the rake.
Not an excuse by any means but a reason why bunkers sometimes dont get raked.

That's kinda asking for trouble (despite what we all know should still happen) As you say it'll be a factor why some bunkers don't get raked
Its not unusual to see 3-4 rakes on a medium sized bunker, can't remember last seeing just one

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to play with a guy who I used to constantly have a go at for not raking bunkers. Then he landed in a big foot print one day and went mental. I just laughed at him and said ”that’s #*#** karma!”

I wouldn't play the game with someone like that!

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Sure it's ugly and terrible manners, but does it really make the next shot all that much harder? It is a bunker after all. You're supposed to hit behind the ball in sand, no?

Also ...
He took a quick look and said " Mod Edit” (infraction issued”if I know" and walked off

Infraction for a quote? That's a bit harsh.

bm

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
remind me of the Bunkers at Newmacher when i played there about 10 years ago, memembers had the arse with the club for some reason and one of the guys i played with took his trolley in with him and didn't rake it after

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Whether that bunker was messed up by golfers or others - the fact will almost certainly be that plenty of players would have seen it and ignored it. They too have some responsibility for the situation @CliveW found himself.