Radical thoughts for the WHS article

BillyTheFish777

Visit site
So who does the job of the Handicap Committee in regard to iGolf members?
Who does the Annual Reviw?
Who should a peer advise if they think an iGolfers handicap is not representative of their ability?
Who prevents an iGolfer manipulating their handicap?
Who freezes or withdraws an iGolfer’s handicap?

WIth regard to the first two questions, ostensibly the answer is England Golf (in England anyway - I have no knowledge of how the other UK nations operate).

How they do it is - or indeed whether they do it - is another question entirely and of which I have no answer

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Because of our climate in this country during winter & the variables from course to course, I would very much be in favour of having a recognised golf season, maybe 1st April - 1st Nov.
I think the winter period Nov - April should be deemed the off season & no qualifiers should be played.

wjemather

Visit site
Because of our climate in this country during winter & the variables from course to course, I would very much be in favour of having a recognised golf season, maybe 1st April - 1st Nov.
I think the winter period Nov - April should be deemed the off season & no qualifiers should be played.
Because it's never cold, wet and windy in summer, right?
Courses that revert into the boggy farmland they were built on at the first since of winter have issues, no question, but most other courses (esp. links) are fine throughout the year.

D-S

Visit site
I guess you missed post #97?

There really isn't an argument here that doesn't apply equally to golfers who are members of clubs.
My apologies, I missed part of post 97.
Can you advise where you have read about this Committee?
I can not see any reference to it on the iGolf help or information page of the EG website. All references to committees or who to talk to about appeals and wrong indexes always refer back to club then county.
I have not heard it when at EG handicap workshops or seminars, nor have they requested volunteer help from the Counties or regions.
There was talk of the Counties doing this but it was not implemented
If there are 25,000 iGolfers then the work of this committee is about 40 times greater than a normal club committee so no small undertaking.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Because it's never cold, wet and windy in summer, right?
Courses that revert into the boggy farmland they were built on at the first since of winter have issues, no question, but most other courses (esp. links) are fine throughout the year.

It's very rare that we get conditions in Summer that are anything like Winter, to suggest otherwise is just being pedantic.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's very rare that we get conditions in Summer that are anything like Winter, to suggest otherwise is just being pedantic.
I don't know where you live but up this end of the north of England we've had many days as good as we get in what you are calling a 'Golf season'. We have loads of guys coming in with 40+pts & nothing happening to their H/caps due to folk not accepting that golf can be played very successfully in the winter.

D-S

Visit site
We have distinct Winter and Summer competition schedules with all the club major competitions and those that “matter” taking place in summer. Winter competitions are very much second rate, not so well attended or at all important.
I assume this is because conditions are not considered to be the same.

wjemather

Visit site
My apologies, I missed part of post 97.
Can you advise where you have read about this Committee?
I can not see any reference to it on the iGolf help or information page of the EG website. All references to committees or who to talk to about appeals and wrong indexes always refer back to club then county.
I have not heard it when at EG handicap workshops or seminars, nor have they requested volunteer help from the Counties or regions.
There was talk of the Counties doing this but it was not implemented
If there are 25,000 iGolfers then the work of this committee is about 40 times greater than a normal club committee so no small undertaking.
All info available via the England Golf iGolf website (see useful information, particularly the procedures document).
It was also covered in the England Golf WHS workshop I attended a couple of weeks ago.

D-S

Visit site
So if all the correct procedures are in place why do EG state:-
“Please note some events are specifically open only for members of an affiliated golf club in England with a WHS handicap index. This includes England Golf’s national events and county events.”
So despite the rigour of these handicaps and the strictures in place these aren’t good enough for their comps? What exactly is wrong with them?

wjemather

Visit site
So if all the correct procedures are in place why do EG state:-
“Please note some events are specifically open only for members of an affiliated golf club in England with a WHS handicap index. This includes England Golf’s national events and county events.”
So despite the rigour of these handicaps and the strictures in place these aren’t good enough for their comps? What exactly is wrong with them?
Throughout the iGolf process, England Golf have restated their commitment to support golf clubs (noting that they may not exactly have been supportive of the scheme) and promote club membership. These conditions seem consistent with that.

D-S

Visit site
Throughout the iGolf process, England Golf have restated their commitment to support golf clubs (noting that they may not exactly have been supportive of the scheme) and promote club membership. These conditions seem consistent with that.
I think if they had clubs (and counties) at the forefront of their thinking they would/should have encouraged these golfers to join those clubs across the country who offer more than iGolfer but for less money rather than selling them a second class product.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

So you are telling me that my club should not be allowed to play qualifiers all the year round - as we have done as far back as I can remember (and that's a long time) - just because you think so?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
So you are telling me that my club should not be allowed to play qualifiers all the year round - as we have done as far back as I can remember (and that's a long time) - just because you think so?

Most sports have a few months break (off season) where serious competition doesn't happen, why not club golf?
Do you really think that the UK winter period is conducive to competitive golf?
I think not.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Do you really think that the UK winter period is conducive to competitive golf?
I think not.

Yes. The conditions might not be as pleasant as you would like, but they are the same for everyone during the comp.

We play on a full course and normal greens all year. Yes it’s soft, plays long and the greens can get a little bumpy, but there is absolutely nothing to stop up playing comps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes it seems some still think it’s the clubs fault!
even with EG admitting the system is flawed by not accepting caps with “ to many “ GP cards.
but the problem is only at the elite end .:eek:
Of course, the EG Championship Department is only concerned with elite competitions and in particular only when there are oversubscriptions.