Radical thoughts for the WHS article

Newnsy

Visit site
If I am playing 18 do a lot on 9 holes in the summer after work. I always put a card in. I don't see the issue it doesn't effect your handicap the way it used too at least on the going up part anyway.
I don't see rounds being any slower and because of it. Doesn't really matter what I shoot I don't care about the conditions in my 20 counting cards right now I have a 94 from a day in the wind and rain and a 78 from a medal. If you're not in the Hole or not going to score play pick up and take a net double boogey as that's the worst you're going to get on the card.

D-S

Visit site
For people’s interest, here are the rules of ‘most likely score’ which are used in areas such as the US to allow all rounds to count for handicapping including 4BB and singles matchplay, 4BB, Bowmakers etc. etc.
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/3 3 When a Hole is Started but Player does not Hole Out.htm

As with all these things the devil is in the detail for example here you can add either 2 or 3 shots dependent on a judgement call on shot difficulty and ability - this allows manipulation either up or down depending on what you want:-
If the ball lies between 5 feet (1.5 metres) and 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:
Add 2 or 3 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.

In reality, what happens in the US when I have played there, is after the hole they just say ‘put me down for a 6‘ or whatever and no one cares. You can’t have a debate on a lot of holes saying that you would have 3 putted that 6 footer or I would have got up and down from over the back of the green sloping away from me.
The author doesn’t allude to the ramifications of his idea or perhaps he wants all golf to simply be singles strokeplay?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I still think max handicaps need to come down or have limits for comps. Why not have to achieve a minimum level of skill before playing competitive golf?

Because INCLUSION!

But seriously - I agree, I feel for anyone who gets drawn with a 40+ handicapper at my place, your round time just had 20 minutes added to it for a start. There's only so many holes I can help look for your ball before I contemplate whacking you with my 7 iron. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D-S

Visit site
Because INCLUSION!

But seriously - I agree, I feel for anyone who gets drawn with a 40+ handicapper at my place, your round time just had 20 minutes added to it for a start. There's only so many holes I can help look for your ball before I contemplate whacking you with my 7 iron. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I don’t think I could bring myself to write down a 9 for a point on a hole for someone in a comp. No problem for initial card for handicap.
Any round when someone is going to take a 120 plus strokes and shouldn’t pick up on a par 5 until they have played 9 shots will be long.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don’t think I could bring myself to write down a 9 for a point on a hole for someone in a comp. No problem for initial card for handicap.
Any round when someone is going to take a 120 plus strokes and shouldn’t pick up on a par 5 until they have played 9 shots will be long.

Honestly this was pretty much my round a little while back - guy was off 41! 5 for a net par on a par 3 is just jokes. He Parred 2 of our 5 par 3's for 8 points :ROFLMAO: I dont get a shot on any of the 3's in comps - had less points than him over all 5 holes than he had in 2!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The author of that article has written previous similar rants slagging off the WHS both pre and post implementation.

The moment I read...

That it’s not performing as it should in the UK stares us all in the face in every golf club competition. Outlandish scores in club and open events are not apocryphal. They are not aberrations. They are the norm.

...I dismissed the rest of the article as tubthumping claptrap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I certainly would not want to put in a card every time I play. I put in around 30 cards a year from comps most of which are from the white tees.

If I put in a card every time I play I would end up with H'cap that is based upon the yellows (the course rating and slope do not really have a big enough distinction for my game).

We have one regularly swindle which has brought in it's own ruling that you have to sign up for a GP card before goping out to win the kitty. This was done to try to stop one handicap bandit in particular from winning it regularly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And.....no gimmies. Everybody would have to putt out every hole. That would kill a lot of people who almost never putt out.

One of the things that the article does is to compare us to across the pond.

Over there they have 'most likely score' so pick up's and gimmes are acceptable for handicap purposes

D-S

Visit site
One of the things that the article does is to compare us to across the pond.

Over there they have 'most likely score' so pick up's and gimmes are acceptable for handicap purposes
But as per my post earlier in the thread ‘most likely score’ is fraught with other issues.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I play with a person with a 38 H.I. he plays in handicap medals and has been known to have many double figure scores on his card

His last medal was a 57.6 differential with two 10s one 11 and one 12 on the card (one of the 10s was on a par 3)

Everybody absolutely hates being drawn to play with him.

The funny thing is one medal last year he recorded a 21 on one of the par 5s and a 9 on one of the short par 4s but because of teh nett double bogey rule it is 1 of his best 8.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I could see it going the way of the USA if we were putting scores in every round. For competitions, I think everyone here would still play by the rules (or at least to the level they do today). But for non competition i would certainly be looser. Gimmes for sure. Not hung up on the technicalities of relief, drops, crossing points to hazards, sharing advice, etc. The score increase from lack of full focus and more emphasis on fun, and play-on without worrying about playing precisely to the rules would probably balance each other out giving a score in one's normal range.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play with a person with a 38 H.I. he plays in handicap medals and has been known to have many double figure scores on his card

His last medal was a 57.6 differential with two 10s one 11 and one 12 on the card (one of the 10s was on a par 3)

Everybody absolutely hates being drawn to play with him.

The funny thing is one medal last year he recorded a 21 on one of the par 5s and a 9 on one of the short par 4s but because of teh nett double bogey rule it is 1 of his best 8.
Isn't it time someone explained how the net double bogey works so that he can N/R.... 'cos you must be holding up the course?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
They can do it if they want, if they did, I'd just ignore it.

As the Sweaty one says above, a large percentage of our golf, summer and winter, is extremely competitive matchplay with the focus being on the hole in play. Qualifying scores are for the summer and a qualifying comp once or twice a week, nothing else.
In other jurisdictions, you submit matchplay games for handicap.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Because INCLUSION!

We have a couple of these characters at ours.
They are so bad, I can't understand what enjoyment they get from playing golf.
I dread an away day when this pair tag along.
I'm tightly clutching a lucky rabbits foot in my hand praying I don't get drawn out with them.
Their shots can literally go anywhere, or in most cases nowhere.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't it time someone explained how the net double bogey works so that he can N/R.... 'cos you must be holding up the course?

It was in handicap medals not stableford comps.

He will pick up in S'ford comps.

It is one of the problems with players with very high handicaps - the belief that they can recover the situation on another hole and he is capable of parring holes.