Race to Dubai / European Tour Order of Merit

T

thecraw

Should Majors and World Golf Championship events count?

They are limited/restricted fields therefore the majority of players are unable to pick up massive ranking points. For instance look at Ernie Els, he has played in 8 events, mainly co-sanctioned events and I think I'm right in saying only the BMW at Wentworth and the Scottish Open at Castle Stuart are true European events unless you count our major that he won!

Compare that to Lawrie and Colsearts who have played 19 and 20 events respectively yet they are both over 100,00 euro behind Els.

Should more weight be given to the home Tour events.

Discuss?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, they are the chance to play against the best players in the world regardless of what tour they are on therefore good peformances should be rewarded.

T

thecraw

Yes, they are the chance to play against the best players in the world regardless of what tour they are on therefore good peformances should be rewarded.

Even as a closed field where at least 90% of the European Tour can't play!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Even as a closed field where at least 90% of the European Tour can't play!

They can play if they qualify. I disagree that its a closed field, the members of both tours have equal chance to qualify. You could argue that given the amount of top Europeans playing on the PGA tour it gives better chance to those on the European tour a better chance to get in.

T

thecraw

They can play if they qualify. I disagree that its a closed field, the members of both tours have equal chance to qualify. You could argue that given the amount of top Europeans playing on the PGA tour it gives better chance to those on the European tour a better chance to get in.

You could argue but you would be wrong. The WGC events are based on world ranking systems.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Events with limited places that you have to qualify for should not be included IMO .. you qualified for the major/ wgc so that should be that , playing in the major (or the final of sorts)that is your reward .. they should be played sepreratly with their own individual rewards .. if the field is not open to all then massive ranking points should not be up for grabs .. just my opinion tho

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tough one this but I also would say no to including them. Might also bring a few more of the big European names to competitions which in turn could attract more sponsors and more money, which would bring in better players etc etc.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The ordinary Tour events work in the same way as the Majors and WGC's in that you have to qualify for them.
Every week, if you look at the entry list you will see a cut-off point, below which you don't get in the event.
It's done on ranking based on where you finished last season..
Sometimes a finish of 110th in the R2D last year isn't enough to get you in, sometimes you'll get in if you finished 10th in Q School.

So the principle is the same. Each week a certain number of players don't get to play because they haven't qualified - exactly the same as the Majors and WGCs.

So on that basis I think they should be in.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't be wrong, go check the WGC event in China for qualifying conditions. I'm certain it had the top 30 on R2D and Fedex so not just world ranking based.

Double checked this one, top 23 on both tours plus WGC winners, major winners and top 25 in OWGR plus players from tours such as sunshine tour, Asian tour etc.

The Cadillac championship is also not exclusive either.