R&A Quiz Query?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was doing the R&A quiz when i came across this question .. The correct answer is C ..

im wondering as they were only on the way to the second tee why were they penalised for the second hole aswell..
ive highlighted the decision in red .... im having prob with flash player so cant open the link the gave to 6-4/4 in the rules explorer

In a stroke play competition, on the way to the 2nd tee it is discovered that a competitor’s caddie has hired a young boy to carry all of the competitor’s clubs except his putter, which the caddie carries. The caddie has assisted the competitor in other ways, i.e. attending the flagstick and giving advice. The boy stops assisting the player immediately but what is the penalty?

A The competitor is disqualified.

B The competitor is penalised two strokes.

C The competitor is penalised four strokes .

The player has had two caddies and incurs a two stroke penalty at both the 1st and 2nd holes. See Decision 6-4/4 in the Rules Explorer.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a look at the rule 6-4. It says if the breach is discovered between holes then the penalty will apply to every hole where the breach occurred as well as the hole about to be played.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm assuming it's because you could be getting advice from the 2nd caddie on the way to the tee

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That makes sense. In contrast, the penalty for carrying more than 14 clubs (Rule 4-4) is applied only to the hole just finished if the breach is discovered between holes. The extra club isn't giving you any advantage in the walk from green to tee.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I think it's a case of where you draw the line on when one hole finishes and another starts. Either when you hole out, or when you put a ball into play on the next tee. In this case, once you've finished the first you are effectively deemed to be on the second. Seems a bit harsh in the circumstances described in the question but I suppose the theory is that if you had an entourage of caddies with you between holes they could/would be giving advice about the next hole (eg club selection etc) before you actually tee off.

Edit: Sorry spuddy, phone went mid post. You just said this!!

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Thanks for this mate ^ :thup:

Thanks for all the answers guys , i didnt for a second think the quiz was wrong but i was on a run of 10/10 on the easy 10/10 on the moderate and then 9/10 on the difficult ..

As i couldnt open the link at the time i was wondering how you could get penalised for a hole you had not even reached yet .. every day is a school day ..

Thanks again