Quota under Taylor's regime.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to The Guardian, a quota was imposed on Graham Taylor whilst he was in charge of the England team. Apparently he was under pressure to limit the number of black players he selected for the national team...

How good was Carlton Palmer then to be included in the quota? ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
According to The Guardian, a quota was imposed on Graham Taylor whilst he was in charge of the England team. Apparently he was under pressure to limit the number of black players he selected for the national team...

How good was Carlton Palmer then to be included in the quota? ;)

Sadly I have a feeling there may have been a grain of truth in it, especially considering back then I would say racism in football at many levels was prevalent. He may not have been told to do it directly but I'm sure it was suggested in more than one way and on more than one occasion

D

Deleted member 15344

It would explain the lack of England caps for players like Paul Davis and David Rocastle

Well Davis breaking someones jaw prob didn't help and there were a great deal about of better CM around

And Rocastle played a number of times but had his injury issues

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Graham Taylor has always had a good track record of bringing forward young talented black players, take Luther Blisset and John Barnes at Watford as prime examples. so I would be surprised if he went along with any quota, however the idea of the FA wanting a quota is unfortunately believable .

Why is it being aired now if he supposedly said it 15 years ago,
Must be a slow news day