Quick question

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in a 9 hole team of four shotgun tomorrow evening but as HID and myself both off work tomorrow can we go out and play the course tomorrow or will it be classed as practicing. Thanks

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in a 9 hole team of four shotgun tomorrow evening but as HID and myself both off work tomorrow can we go out and play the course tomorrow or will it be classed as practicing. Thanks

As it's a 9 hole "team", I would have assumed it's not qualifying, and you could do whatever you like? But even just typing that has made me realise it's still against the rules of golf, technically.

However if it was me, and i had whole day off to play golf, I would likely play

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure who HID is but practice on the competition course on the day of the tournament is a disqualifying event. see rule 7-1

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks, thought as much. Bummer:( HID is him indoors.

On each hole just order HID to run up to the green a take the flag out so you can't see where the hole is :)

I'm joshing - but if there is no indication of the position of the hole on the green does that mean the course is not the same as that to be played in the comp - so you'd be OK to play?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On each hole just order HID to run up to the green a take the flag out so you can't see where the hole is :)

I'm joshing - but if there is no indication of the position of the hole on the green does that mean the course is not the same as that to be played in the comp - so you'd be OK to play?

But by the time you get to the green, I would hope you could tell where the hole is!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure who HID is but practice on the competition course on the day of the tournament is a disqualifying event. see rule 7-1

Given that it's a 9-hole comp, is there any issue with playing the other 9 holes?

Seems little different to playing the 'other' course at a 2-course club!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But by the time you get to the green, I would hope you could tell where the hole is!

That's true - I was just wondering whether or not removal of flags from a course means that it is no longer a valid competition course. So must the location of the hole be indicated or can you play a qualifying competition on a course with no flags (yes I know it is a silly idea - just checking the principle)

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's true - I was just wondering whether or not removal of flags from a course means that it is no longer a valid competition course. So must the location of the hole be indicated or can you play a qualifying competition on a course with no flags (yes I know it is a silly idea - just checking the principle)

Well, I suppose it's not much worse than wanting to take S+D after a putt :whistle:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given that it's a 9-hole comp, is there any issue with playing the other 9 holes?

Seems little different to playing the 'other' course at a 2-course club!

Would tend to agree here as the rule prohibit practice on the competition course which is this case surely is the defined area of the 9-holes and should exclude the remaining 9 holes. Worth checking with the club before hand mind you.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back from playing on ladies day and I've asked in Pro Shop, asked Lady VC and someone else and I've been told we are OK to play tomorrow morning. Someone else had also been to check. Would seem a shame to have a day off work and not play more golf:)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the holes you wish to practice on are not OOB to the other 9of the team 9 hole stipulated round, they are still part of the course.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the holes you wish to practice on are not OOB to the other 9of the team 9 hole stipulated round, they are still part of the course.

Well since the OP has his answer it's really just academic but the committee can define that the other 9 holes are an area where practice is allowed on the day of the comp can't they?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, have been told it's OK as it's a "fun" 9 hole team event with two of the best scores to count and 7/8th of handicap. Could see if we can play the back nine only in the morning juts incase.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Thanks for that - I think! Shame really. It would have seemed a pretty reasonable compromise.

Wouldn't the same also apply to 'the other course' in a 2-course Club? I certainly know of situations where holes on each course are adjacent and not OOB - and, with certain players, it was a race to get to your ball before they played it down the adjacent hole on the other course! There were certainly times where a sliced drive would actually end up on a fairway on other course!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well since the OP has his answer it's really just academic but the committee can define that the other 9 holes are an area where practice is allowed on the day of the comp can't they?

They can and I would have said should it hadn't be for the post above about a fun event