Question Regarding Lag At Address Position

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
I was wondering, wouldn't it be more logical to start at address with the club in a lagged position? If you start with hands and club straight the distance to the ball will be different than at impact with hands forward and club lagged.
Wondering if anyone does this at all, or reasons why it wouldnt work.

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst I reckon everyone should have forward shaft lean at address, it doesn't really matter if you can't produce this (or even more) at impact.

The subject of 'LAG' is contentious- lots of debate surrounding it.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was wondering, wouldn't it be more logical to start at address with the club in a lagged position? If you start with hands and club straight the distance to the ball will be different than at impact with hands forward and club lagged.
Wondering if anyone does this at all, or reasons why it wouldnt work.

The way I see it, which is probably wrong, is this.

You can have all the forward shaft lean you want at address but if you cast the club or release the club early, what's the point, it'll all be gone before the club meets the ball.

I have a very late release, I always have. When I was fitted for my irons, my release factor was '1' on all 3 swings on the Mizuno swing DNA.

My point. Impact positions will and should be different than address IMO.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you start with hands and club straight the distance to the ball will be different than at impact with hands forward and club lagged.

That is spot on... and that's why you can actually COMPRESS into the ball..... as opposed to what amateurs do whereby they actually stand up!! (generally because they don't understand what you are expressing there and they cast/flip the club as a result, and HAVE TO stand back up).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That is spot on... and that's why you can actually COMPRESS into the ball..... as opposed to what amateurs do whereby they actually stand up!! (generally because they don't understand what you are expressing there and they cast/flip the club as a result, and HAVE TO stand back up).

I (think I) know what you are meaning, but 'Compress' is used (badly) primarily in relation to impact. A different expression altogether would be preferable - though none springs obviously to mind, other than 'Drop'. Maybe 'Drive down'?

JacksJumper

Medal Winner
Visit site
Gareth;946418 My point. Impact positions will and should be different than address IMO.[/QUOTE said:
Yes but the only factor in whether you it fat square or thin,is the distance from your hands to the clu head. If the distance from address is less-fat, moee-thin (considering that your spine angle doesnt change).