Question re new rules-ball moving on green

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Something cropped up when we were playing Dundonald the other day. Hard links greens in the wind, every time we marked and replaced on the green the ball was threatening to move. Anyway, as i understand it, the new rule states that if the ball moves after address on the green, there is no penalty, and the ball is played from where it lies.

On one hole i had a 6 footer , severe downhill. As i addressed the ball it started to move towards the hole. The greens had been hollow cored so it stopped, if they hadn't there's a fair chance it could've dropped in. What was to stop me waiting another 10 seconds to let it feed down to the hole after this? And what's the ruling if it does drop in?

Thanks

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is something about ten seconds but would need to have a look to find it, as for the ball dropping in what would happen if it rolled into a bunker?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't the 10 second rule for when the ball stops after the putt is made, if the ball is on the lip you can only wait 10 seconds to drop before marking/putting out

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Got me confussed now, as I understood the ruling was that if the ball moves after address you replace without penalty,but if it moves without addresing the ball you play it from where it lies.

Might be completly wrong on this though.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got me confussed now, as I understood the ruling was that if the ball moves after address you replace without penalty,but if it moves without addresing the ball you play it from where it lies.

Might be completly wrong on this though.

Ball at rest moved is covered by Rule 18.

If your ball is moved by an "outside agency" the ball is replaced and there is no penalty - Rule 18-1. Wind is not an outside agency so if the wind causes your ball to move the ball is played as it lies from its new position.

However, under the current rules if you cause your ball to move, or if your ball moves after you address it, for whatever reason, it is replaced and you incur a penalty of one stroke - Rule 18-2

Under the new rules if the wind moves your ball after you address it the same applies as if the wind moved your ball before you addressed it, i.e play from new position with no penalty.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Under the new rules if the wind moves your ball after you address it the same applies as if the wind moved your ball before you addressed it, i.e play from new position with no penalty.

even if that means you've now rolled into a steep bunker:mad: crazy rule

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
even if that means you've now rolled into a steep bunker:mad: crazy rule

But surely better than the current rule where if the wind moves your ball 2mm after you address it you replace it but incur a penalty despite doing nothing wrong. How often will the wind blow your ball into a bunker?

If the wind blew your ball into the bunker as you were walking up to mark it under the current rules you'd have to play it from the bunker. The new Rule just makes to position the same if it happens after you address it. I don't think we can have it both ways.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But if it rolls into the hole you are on a winner.

This almost happened to me in a medal once.
Marked the ball close to a slope above the hole. Replaced it and before I had addressed it it was on the move. The wind almost blew it into the hole. It was a par 3 too so would have been expensive. :)

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This almost happened to me in a medal once.
Marked the ball close to a slope above the hole. Replaced it and before I had addressed it it was on the move. The wind almost blew it into the hole. It was a par 3 too so would have been expensive. :)

Disappointed Bob, thought as a proud Scotsman you would have wangled out of that :p :D

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
It may be worth mentioning that the "new rule", as this will come to be known is just an exception. Rule 18-1 is the same as before and the same penalties apply except if it is known or virtually certain that the player did not cause the ball to move. So, it has to be agreed that it was the wind etc. I can see plenty of scope here for players moving the ball by pressing down the putter and then claiming there's no penalty "because the rule has changed". Or am I just an old cynic!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I wonder whether it will lead to players who are on the top of a down slope on a windy day, not bothering to mark their ball, in the hope that the wind gusts up and moves it towards the hole?

Chris