Question about Drivers Older Vs Newer

mactronix

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi people,
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question concerning modern day driver performance compared to older drivers.
Basically I was wondering if a newer but not too expensive driver would be better than an older expensive (at the time ) driver, I am basing this theory on thinking that newer materials and construction techniques may have surpassed these better clubs from yesteryear and make it viable to get improvement from a less expensive replacement ?
I use a Big Betha Titanium 454 9 degree driver with a stiff shaft at the moment. I have no actual complaints with it it does what I want it to do very well. After all the very combination I have set the world long drive record in 2004. However 2004 is a long way away now and the quest for more and better from my game had me thinking.

Any and all feedback welcome

Mactronix

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having moved through the TM Pittsburgh persimmon, flex twist,bubble,bubble titanium and into burners etc I would suggest that they have become easier to hit consistently and easier to generate club head speed for joe average. The vast range of cheap shafts have also made it easier to get one that works for you.
Given that you can make an easy comparison by going into any major store and trialling I would recommend that route to a definitive answer.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi people,
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question concerning modern day driver performance compared to older drivers.
Basically I was wondering if a newer but not too expensive driver would be better than an older expensive (at the time ) driver, I am basing this theory on thinking that newer materials and construction techniques may have surpassed these better clubs from yesteryear and make it viable to get improvement from a less expensive replacement ?
I use a Big Betha Titanium 454 9 degree driver with a stiff shaft at the moment. I have no actual complaints with it it does what I want it to do very well. After all the very combination I have set the world long drive record in 2004. However 2004 is a long way away now and the quest for more and better from my game had me thinking.

Any and all feedback welcome

Mactronix

the main difference is with the modern drivers the MOI is a bigger area on the face.

hit true sweetspot with both & they'll fly a similar distance most likely the newer version just some yards further. but if you're not hitting 'center' the slightly off center hits with the newer drivers will give better results.

biggest difference to getting distance with any driver is being able to hit 'center' on an +AoA so using the optimum dynamic face angle with a good launch angle.
as this will keep the spin rate to the lowest optimum possible for whatever club head speed to be transferring energy to the ball, for optimum efficient ball speed, so optimum distance possible for that particular swing motion.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Forgiveness on slightly off-centre shots is probably the main benefit of more modern Drivers.

GMac won the US Open with a 5 year old Driver (FT3; Mine - The Donk - still performs well!) so it's what works best - for you - that's most important.

mactronix

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
It seems that as long as I can hit it right most of the time then I should leave well alone.
This leads me on to a similar question concerning Irons but I will start a new thread for that.
Thanks
Mactronix