Modern Drivers vs older Tech.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apart from reading this forum.

How would you know there were so many, or any, drivers that are banned? As I said before I have been using it for 10 years+ in societies and now eventually in a members club.

No one has ever mentioned it before. Nothing on the members message board or website, not mentioned at the formal interview or at the bar afterwards....

Could be embarrassing if you stand on the first tee of the first comp as some 'jobsworth' starts questioning the legality of the driver.

especially as virtually identical clubs were produced at the same time that do conform....
Looks like I need a new driver before I play the forum comp as you lot seem to be the only ones that know about this stuff...

Back in the day, the manufacturers began using titanium instead of steel to make driver heads. Lighter and stronger it meant they could make heads bigger. Unfortunately, making them bigger increased the "trampoline" effect (coefficient of restitution) which meant these "hot" drivers were going silly distances.
To reign things in, the Rule makers decided to limit club heads to 460cc AND a CoR of 0.83 - effectively, if you drop a ball on to the face from 1 metre, the ball cannot rebound more than 83cm.
With more modern tech, if they were to exceed 0.83, these drivers could be sending the ball into orbit, hence the need to enforce the limiting rule.
Your driver may, or may not, exceed the CoR limit and therefore cannot be used in competition. The fact that modern drivers probably hit the ball further is irrelevant, the rule has to be there to stop the manufacturers pushing the boundaries to the detriment of the game...

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I use a Ping G10, ive tested the latest drivers and cant get anywhere near the distance and accuracy I get with the G10.In all honesty any driver from the last 15 years with the correct shaft is all you need, updating your stuff regulary thinking you are going to buy a game is nonsense.

jak kez 187

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a Ping G10, ive tested the latest drivers and cant get anywhere near the distance and accuracy I get with the G10.In all honesty any driver from the last 15 years with the correct shaft is all you need, updating your stuff regulary thinking you are going to buy a game is nonsense.

I agree but finding an older driver with the right shaft is pretty difficult unless you do trial and error, which could en up quite costly.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rooting around in the press today i came across one of the 1st drivers i ever hit... Its an Old Mizuno Mx500 with a stiff Aldila NV65 Green shaft in it.....
This was given to me by my Dad about 8 yrs ago i think iirc, long before i ever even got hooked on the game....
Did anyone every use one of these?.....
Has technology come so far that this driver is kind of obsolete now?...... Could it hold up to any of the newer stuff?.....

Im going to play a few holes tomorrow after work with a Pal of mine and im half tempted to bring it along....

Does anyone still use woods that would be considered more than 6 years old?

Stuff like adjustable weight has some technical advantages, but they are usually just to refine the club at purchase and then never adjusted after. If your Mizzy works for you now, it won't stop working just because it sees a SLDR in someone else's bag.

As long as it doesn't have any damage, it should last for years more.

LinksTurf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I recently bought a scruffy old TM 200 3 wood for £10. I intended to put it in an eclectic set of clubs I keep in a Sunday bag in the boot of the car in case I get the chance for an unexpected 9 holes or drive past a range. I have now put it in my main bag and play it regularly. It has quickly become my favourite club. I just seem to hit it consistently well and straight.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site

i second that