Query re rules of golf

golfantic99

Visit site
Please give advice on the following re. the rules of golf:
I putted my ball from a spot on the putting green while my playing partner attended the flag. As the ball approached the hole my playing partner had difficulty removing the pin which appeared to be jamed in the cup. The cup lifted out of the hole with the pin about 4 inches and my ball hit the cup (not the pin) and was deflected. After discussion we decided I should play the put again as close as possible from the original spot. I'm not sure this was the correct ruling. Any thoughts???

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Welcome to the forum you will meet some great people in here!

sorry to say but i believe it's a 2 shot penalty to the person putting and he plays the ball where it's come to rest

It looks like Rule 17.2 applies but i really hope that someone proves me wrong!

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a decision on this (Rule 17.8). The liner is an outside agency. If the liner was moving when struck, the shot is cancelled and replayed with no penalty. If the liner was static, the ball is played where it lies. If in doubt, the latter is assumed.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

What an amazing occurrance. Can't find anything in the Rules or decisions which refers to this specific scenario. As suggested, Rule 17-3, which applies to the ball striking the flagstick, is possibly the closest but seems harsh.

Rule 1-4 provides that matters not covered by the rules should be determined in accordance with equity. Equity is "what is fair under the rules of Golf".

Tricky in this scenario to decide what is fair. I'd be inclined to treat it as a ball in motion deflected by an outside agency which is covered by Rule 19. Essentially that's a rub of the green. You carry on and play the ball as it lies with no penalty.

Must say it's a good one and I would be interested in other views.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
As far as I know, in one of the last mags, the liner would only be an outside agency if it became detatched from the flag. In the mag they used the bobble ontop of the flag as the subject matter but same scenario.

So detatched from flag outside agency, still on flag part of it.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as I know, in one of the last mags, the liner would only be an outside agency if it became detatched from the flag. In the mag they used the bobble ontop of the flag as the subject matter but same scenario.

Why when someone has already bothered to look up the correct answer, do people then post something that is complete tosh and just confuses the matter further?

As already pointed out Decision 17/8.....

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk

Why when someone has already bothered to look up the correct answer, do people then post something that is complete tosh and just confuses the matter further?

As already pointed out Decision 17/8.....

Easy no need to get up your own arse about things. This is a place for people to learn aswell as have input. I'd say I've learnt, but you my friend need to think how you word your statements. :mad:

golfantic99

Visit site
Many thanks Ethan for your advice. Looks as though the right decision was made as the liner was moving when struck. Is there such a degree course on the rules of golf?!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are ever in doubt of a ruling like this in competition then proceed under rule 3-3 and play 2 balls. In this case you'd play a second ball from your original spot and play the first ball as it lies. Then before handing in your scorecard you can clarify the ruling in the club house.