Putts Per Round

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting has never been my strong point and I now use a golf app to do my scoring and can now record my putts. I average at between 1.9 and 2.1 putts per hole. Is this ok?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What really counts is putts per round where you are on the green in regulation.

My putts per round can very between 23 (as my lowest) to about 39 which is very dependent on how well well I am chipping and pitching rather than how well I am putting.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Putting has never been my strong point and I now use a golf app to do my scoring and can now record my putts. I average at between 1.9 and 2.1 putts per hole. Is this ok?

ultimately it depends. If I was really wanting to improve I'd say getting below 36 putts per round should be a good starting point.

If you are 2 putting 30 footers it's ok. If you are missing basically every putt outside 6 or 8 feet and tapping in, then it's not.

I guess putts per round is a pretty rudimentary as it doesn't really say if you missed a lot of makeable putts that you'd hope to convert at least a few of. Or you lagged from miles away on most greens.

D

Deleted member 23344

Total putts can be a deceptive measure ... it is very dependent upon where on the green you end up after your approach shot. In some instances it can be more of a measure of the accuracy of your approach shots than your putting. That’s my excuse anyway.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You need to somehow factor in putting length. And if you are looking for areas to improve more you need to consider whether putts were from GiR or not (up&down count). Total length of putts made in a round is helpful too - as increasing that generally indicates improvement.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It depends on a lot of things. On paper, 2 putts per hole is what you're expected to have on each hole. But, that's also assuming you hit greens. If you're missing greens, then chipping on from greenside and still getting 2 putts per hole then it's not great as it means either your chipping needs work, or if the chipping was good then you should probably hole more putts to get up and down (and thus record 1 putt for that hole).

Personally I'd consider 36 putts on a round to be not that great for me, because I tend to only hit between 3 and 7 greens in regulation, which means I should be getting up and down from greenside a few times a round. So I consider 33 putts or less to be pretty decent on a normal round. But the more greens I hit in a round, the more putts I expect to take because chances are I won't be that close to the pin when I hit them.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year I averaged 33.10 putts per round which works out too 1.84 putts per hole. But if I look further into it I had 2.13 putts per GIR and 1.76 per non-GIR.

Not too bad since I started the year at 17.3 and got down to 15.5. But u wouldn't say I putted well, but I'd also factor in the my approach and short game we're not great either so that factors in to the amount of putts and how close I get my ball to the hole.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putts per round is never a good measure. Today I had about 26 because I never hit any greens. Amount of feet putted is better imo

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putts per round is never a good measure. Today I had about 26 because I never hit any greens. Amount of feet putted is better imo
That's quite a heavy amount of detail to chuck in on your weekly rounds though I'd say. You can enter number of putts quickly and easily on the app, but you should probably look at it alongside greens in reg for one (which my app does automatically based on shots minus putts).

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not a fan of these types of stats. Few putts often means crap iron play. Why think you're a good putter when in reality you're a crap iron player?

The only true indication of how good you are is the score you sign for.

D

Deleted member 16999

I'm not a fan of these types of stats. Few putts often means crap iron play. Why think you're a good putter when in reality you're a crap iron player?

The only true indication of how good you are is the score you sign for.
Totally agree on the true indication, but identifying areas of weakness can help to shoot better scores.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would strokes gained not be a more accurate guide? If you chip close and two putt or hit a green and two put it's still the same number of putts per round but I assume if you chip close and two putt you'll lose on strokes gained and if you hit a GIR (especially on a longer par 4 as an example) there would be a chance of making on strokes gained. Is that how it works or have I misinterpreted

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would strokes gained not be a more accurate guide? If you chip close and two putt or hit a green and two put it's still the same number of putts per round but I assume if you chip close and two putt you'll lose on strokes gained and if you hit a GIR (especially on a longer par 4 as an example) there would be a chance of making on strokes gained. Is that how it works or have I misinterpreted
Strokes gained is the most insightful imho.
There's a web page where you can enter your initial distance and number of putts and it works out it out based on standard stats.
Takes all of 5 minutes post round. Takes out all the factors which are (correctly) being highlighted with other methods.

D

Deleted member 1147

If I were to measure this I’d look at 2 separate stats:
- putts per green in regulation
- how often do you get up & down when you miss a green

Aim for 2 or better on the PPGIR, and over 50% for getting up & down

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strokes gained is the most insightful imho.
There's a web page where you can enter your initial distance and number of putts and it works out it out based on standard stats.
Takes all of 5 minutes post round. Takes out all the factors which are (correctly) being highlighted with other methods.
Is that provided you can memorise your distance from the hole on every green?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is that provided you can memorise your distance from the hole on every green?
Yep. I don't suppose the numbers are going to vary much if you're a couple of feet out. Or you could write it down on one of thise funny little rectangular cardboard things that are lieing around the clubhouse...
In all seriousness, if you dont care enough about finding out how well you're putting to write down 18 numbers and enter them onto a webpage, I'm thinking you probably don't care enough to actually learn to putt better.
(That's the royal "you" btw, not throwing shade!)
I hasten to add that I'm very much in the "don't care enough" category... i was only offering it up as the OP (who might care enough) may not gave been aware of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. I don't suppose the numbers are going to vary much if you're a couple of feet out. Or you could write it down on one of thise funny little rectangular cardboard things that are lieing around the clubhouse...
In all seriousness, if you dont care enough about finding out how well you're putting to write down 18 numbers and enter them onto a webpage, I'm thinking you probably don't care enough to actually learn to putt better.
(That's the royal "you" btw, not throwing shade!)
I hasten to add that I'm very much in the "don't care enough" category... i was only offering it up as the OP (who might care enough) may not gave been aware of it.
I was just thinking aloud really. I'm bad at estimating distance let alone doing that from memory later on so I'd certainly have to write it as I go! For the record I'm interested in keeping stats, I record my scores in an Excel files to see how I tend to do on certain holes and whether a change in strategy is required - but when I'm out on the course I tend to completely forget about it and just focus on hitting the ball. For example, in my Hole 19 app you can log whether you hit the fairway or missed it left or right, I've recently started putting that info in, but I usually forget on a few holes so by the end of the round it says I hit one fairway and missed three and that's it. :LOL: