Putting.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Never ever been a good part of my game but today was a really frustrating low point. I counted 11 putts inside 10 feet for birdie today, holed one. I miss almost every one of them right, it's now really in my head, so question, am I just a bad putter or a bad reader of putts ? It's stopping me from being cat 1 with ease.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If you are always missing them one side then I'm thinking it's probably a set up or aim thing; what type of putter do you have; which is your dominant eye?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I have various putters as you'd imagine, today was an TM Adrmore 2 long neck but on another day it could be a scotty Newports, an Oddessy #7 or even a TM Spider.

Dominant eye ?? Sorry not sure or should I say I didn't know I had one ??

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have various putters as you'd imagine, today was an TM Adrmore 2 long neck but on another day it could be a scotty Newports, an Oddessy #7 or even a TM Spider.

Dominant eye ?? Sorry not sure or should I say I didn't know I had one ??

To work out your dominant eye, hold your finger out in front of you. Now close each eye in turn. When your dominant eye is closed your finger will appear to move. With your dominant eye open, your finger should remain in the same place.

Once you’ve worked it out, use your dominant eye to align your target line using a mark on the ground

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
To work out your dominant eye, hold your finger out in front of you. Now close each eye in turn. When your dominant eye is closed your finger will appear to move. With your dominant eye open, your finger should remain in the same place.

Once you’ve worked it out, use your dominant eye to align your target line using a mark on the ground

Holy smokes, that's amazing....left eye is my dominant one.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The best thing for me is practice rolling the ball well and straight.

There are loads of things that could be going wrong, but the fundamental is a good roll 8n a straight line.

I practice a home hitting down an alignment stick until I'm hitting it straight and can see the ball is rolling properly.

Once you know you're doing this it's amazing the confidence it forges and how many better putts you'll hit (they won't all go in though).

If you're rolling it straight and true and still missing a lot then you know you have an aim / pace problem. Both you can work in @ home using an alignment stick, with the added bonus of being able to check your roll too :thup:

Good luck, you'll get there :)

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm not expecting to hole them all, but I'm not even hitting the hole from 4-6 feet. Once you miss a couple, the confidence just drains from you and you're not even expecting to hit the hole. It's almost that bad that I've come full circle and think, what's the worst that can happen, I reckon a decent putter would've been 3 under at the turn on my round this morning instead of the 2 over I was.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Holy smokes, that's amazing....left eye is my dominant one.

Assuming you are right handed then you possibly need to change putter. The perceived wisdom is that when putting you have the ball favouring your dominant eye. If you are right handed & right eye dominant then offset, which I think all the models you mentioned have, is fine. If however you are left eye dominant then offset is not your fried and you are better off without. Pop down to your nearest golf store with both styles & try them on the putting mat. Here's a couple of Golfwrx discussions on it;

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1576532-eye-dominance-and-putter-style/

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/241638-left-eye-dominant-and-hosel-position/

As an aside, everyone has a dominant eye, it's one of those genius bits of human design, without it we wouldn't get any depth of field perception; the brain processes the difference in the two pictures it receives to judge distances is how I understand it, but I'm sure someone who really knows what they are talking about will be along shortly to correct me... :D

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I have a house full, this isn't a new issue for me, over the years I've tried them all, I'm not sure what type of putter is left to try.

Centre shafted, or one without offset, says a left eye dominant right handed chan with a centre shafted putter & who can putt a bit... :whistle:

There, that means I won't be able to hit a cow's arse tomorrow with the flatstick as I'm playing with someone off the forum... :rofl:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a right handed player, I find if I'm missing putts just to the right, it is because I'm looking up for the ball too quickly. Concentrate on keeping your head still and don't look for the ball until you have finished your through swing.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I have a house full, this isn't a new issue for me, over the years I've tried them all, I'm not sure what type of putter is left to try.

Scratch that, I've just read the links you posted, fascinating stuff. pro shop tomorrow with a couple of putters to trade in, anyone want to buy a Scotty Newport of a Ti Spider.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you often miss to the right, the putter face is probably pointing to the right at impact.

That's either down to the aim, the swing path or a weak grip.

Changing putters will probably not fix the issue if you have a house full of them.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you often miss to the right, the putter face is probably pointing to the right at impact.

That's either down to the aim, the swing path or a weak grip.

Changing putters will probably not fix the issue if you have a house full of them.

I use the classic overlapped left index finger grip. As for swing path or aim, I am constantly missing these length putts right, and I don't actually believe my aim can be wrong all the time, which makes me think given dominant eye thing make some sense to me. I am a straight back and thru putter than an arc style.

I've always just believed I don't read them properly, i.e. not enough break, but they can't all be R>L breaking putts.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me missing to the right often comes from lifting the head too early. The left shoulder goes up and the putter face goes right.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I use the classic overlapped left index finger grip. As for swing path or aim, I am constantly missing these length putts right, and I don't actually believe my aim can be wrong all the time, which makes me think given dominant eye thing make some sense to me. I am a straight back and thru putter than an arc style.

I've always just believed I don't read them properly, i.e. not enough break, but they can't all be R>L breaking putts.

So you don't think your grip might be weak at all?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can usually fix a beginners putting in 3 steps.

1. Have a routine.Look from the middle on the low side to get an idea of pace needed. Look end on from the low side to get break. At the ball two practice swings looking at the hole, set up and putt.
2. Swing is ration 1:2 backswing followthrough for practice putts. Usually it translates into about 1:1.25 for the actual shot.
3. No wrists, just no, please no, never.

Take from that anything that might help