Putting.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Move you left hand (if you're right handed) clockwise 1/2 an inch on the grip and that should fix it

I'm guessing you mean with my standard index overlap grip...if so, man that makes the left hand feel far more the stronger of the two, am I right in thinking this ?

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I felt exactly the same as the OP and that I just wasn’t a good putter.
I love trying new clubs and demos etc., then one day tried a putter that just felt and looked right for me. It worked a dream and has done ever since.
I now get comments on how good my putting is regularly.

Go out and try as many as possible is my advice

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm guessing you mean with my standard index overlap grip...if so, man that makes the left hand feel far more the stronger of the two, am I right in thinking this ?

Yes.
Bare in mind any change will feel strange at first but you'll soon get used to it when the putts start dropping

I felt exactly the same as the OP and that I just wasn’t a good putter.
I love trying new clubs and demos etc., then one day tried a putter that just felt and looked right for me. It worked a dream and has done ever since.
I now get comments on how good my putting is regularly.

Go out and try as many as possible is my advice

The OP already has a house full of putters (post no. 9)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have money to spend, have a look at Edel putters. Specifically some custom fit videos on YouTube.

they will custom fit you a putter that can account for your systemic errors in lining up & swing.

They also look really nice.

Dont have experience of using one, but seems this would be a natural destination for a real upgrade in your putter that should make spending money on a putter worthwhile.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So you don't think your grip might be weak at all?

Seriously look at spending £20 or so on a half hour putting lesson rathern than £100's on yet another putter.

About 10 years ago I was having a putting crisis missing so many soul destroying short putts.

30 min lesson, change to a fat grip, change in the way I grip the putter and a lot of proper practice later and I've never looked back. Year after year of averaging around 31 putts per round or less.

Alternatively post a couple of videos on here

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Alternatively post a couple of videos on here

For all the threads on putting issues there've been on here, I don't think I've ever seen a ten second clip of someone's stroke. It's the obvious first step if you want to get useful feedback beyond the standard stuff. Is it the shame??

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For all the threads on putting issues there've been on here, I don't think I've ever seen a ten second clip of someone's stroke. It's the obvious first step if you want to get useful feedback beyond the standard stuff. Is it the shame??

You're right there, don't think I have either.

Can put the camera right behind the ball and see the roll and path etc clear as day. Can do the standard DTL and side-on views of the stroke to see if there's issues with alignment, grip, early peeking, excessive movement etc

Not as much fun as buying a new flatstick though!

steadyeddy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Holy smokes, that's amazing....left eye is my dominant one.
A putting lesson i had a few years ago, the pro told me that If you're a right handed golfer with left eye dominant then you should be using a mallet style putter as you're dominant eye is not directly over the putter and you are looking across slightly so longer lines on the mallet help you to line up

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...I am a straight back and thru putter than an arc style...

This is another attribute that suggests centre-shafted - or at least face-balanced.

I too am a left eye dominant right-hander - and SBST too! Centre shafted putters certainly work best for me! I've also got a mid-size grip that keeps my wrist from flapping.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is another attribute that suggests centre-shafted - or at least face-balanced.

I too am a left eye dominant right-hander - and SBST too! Centre shafted putters certainly work best for me! I've also got a mid-size grip that keeps my wrist from flapping.
This is me to left eye / right handed I went to the Sam putting lab at Hopwood / Manchester , Scott gave me a Scotty Kombi had it 10 yrs tried others but always go back to this.
Its face balanced and a mallet so fits this description.

Go to a Sam putt lab find your correct style and start from scratch , sell others to fund your new shinie and stop swapping putters.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putting is killing my scores at the moment, last Thursday in the medal, six 3 putts, all of which had stared as birdie putts plus a 4 putt mostly born out of frustration, 8 shots wasted, a gross 88 could have been an 80.
Today a gross 87 included four 3 putts plus at least 3 others missed from with 3 feet after good chips.

I know what the problem is, it is lack of confidence, I am expecting to miss so am not positive and I do miss, trouble is I don't know how to change my mindset.
Its very very annoying when currently the rest of my game is very good

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never ever been a good part of my game but today was a really frustrating low point. I counted 11 putts inside 10 feet for birdie today, holed one. I miss almost every one of them right, it's now really in my head, so question, am I just a bad putter or a bad reader of putts ? It's stopping me from being cat 1 with ease.

Have you ever considered Aimpoint ?

I see loads of guys using it now and they swear by it.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's an issue from the 10 feet in, not so sure aimpoint would be that relevant from that distance.

Don't know a lot about it but pretty sure it can be used for all distances, might be wort looking into or maybe some folk on here know a bit more about how it works.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's an issue from the 10 feet in, not so sure aimpoint would be that relevant from that distance.

It would absolutely be relevant from 10ft as the best players in the world make less than 50% of putts from that distance.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It would absolutely be relevant from 10ft as the best players in the world make less than 50% of putts from that distance.

Isn't aimpoint all about finding the slopes on the greens ? I'm missing right from 4 - 6 feet on flat straight putts, what would aimpoint do for them ?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your missing right all the time then it's either setup, alignment, stroke or not having the right putter and sight lines. Aimpoint or having Tiger read your putts won't cure your issue. It's always down to fundamentals and practise to cure it.