Putting...

Wolf

Visit site
“Everyone goes for lessons on their swing in search if the Holy grail of a swing that repeats and works like a tour pro game, but so many amateurs don't bother with a shirt game lesson that could literally improve their scores so much more.”

Lots of people could benefit from a shirt lesson - essential to get the right fit, especially on the larger frame 🤪🤪🤪🤪
Bloody autocorrect 🤣 mind you even that point is relevant considering how badly dressed most golfers are 😂

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jason Day apparently spends 2 hours a day, every day on putting alone....

Well I thought it was funny if no one else did!

Back to the OP - Why do you think you're a bad putter? I used to play regularly with a 6-7handicapper who swore he was a bad putter because he didn't hole every 20footer, when the fact that he was threatening with just about every putt and always 2 putting at worst was evidence that he was a really good putter.

Your local pro will be more than happy to give (sell) you a putting lesson and set you on the straight and narrow.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Art-P...qid=1553065944&sr=8-1&keywords=Art+of+putting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Puttin...qid=1553065944&sr=8-5&keywords=Art+of+putting

Two books which have helped me a lot. Similar titles, completely different approaches.

Putting is the one part of the game where, in theory, you can be as good as the pros.

Yes I always think that putting is the only part of the game where if you went to a pro and practiced properly you should be able to be very near pro standards.

The percentage of puts the pros make over 10 foot is surprisingly low and they 2 put a lot, they will always have more one puts but as you say in theory we should be able to match them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting is probably the best part of my game, and definately gives me the greatest confidence.
I always go onto each green assuming I'm going to 2 putt from no matter where the ball is. That way I know I should be at worst a lag.
Having played a lot of pitch and putt years ago, putting from the fringe or even first cut is never an issue for me either, invariably I can get it close.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Keep a strokes gained stat there’s free online calculators. I typically pace out anything above 6-8 feet anyway so roughly accurate.

Very easy to track and better to measure your putting average this way in my opinion.

For instance I had a round where I had 25 putts, not through brilliant putting but scrambling and solid wedge play.

I had a round a few months later with 27 putts but my strokes gained against 2 handicappers was 4.2 (ish) due to the length of some of the putts I made.

I knocked in numerous Long putts, missed nothing within 6 foot. My average was just knocked down by two putting from inside of 8-10 feet. This gave me an area to focus my practice on and my putting percentage actually improved in this area the following weeks.

I find it much more engaging to. I’ll putt on a putting green this way, giving myself a range of putts from 4 footers to 40 footers and mimic 18 holes of play to determine my strokes gained.

I keep a log of every practice session and my goal is to beat it.

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you don't fancy a lesson, why not video your putting stroke from behind and side on? If you put it up here, I'm sure you'd get some useful feedback...
If you're too shy, just compare it to the guys on the telly. You'll probably spot a few key differences to work on.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes I always think that putting is the only part of the game where if you went to a pro and practiced properly you should be able to be very near pro standards.

The percentage of puts the pros make over 10 foot is surprisingly low and they 2 put a lot, they will always have more one puts but as you say in theory we should be able to match them.

This is something I noticed at the British Masters last year, was expecting all long putts to be holed (as you see on TV), however only saw one long one sunk (Molinari) all were close and lagged well though.

My lag putting is not too bad, its in the 3 - 5 foot range where I miss so many. I thought it was down to not hitting the putts firmly enough but that is not the reason.

User20204

Visit site
The PGA tour average from 7 feet is 65% make rate, so the chances are you're not as bad a putter as you may think. The problem is, we all believe we should hole everything.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
My putting was poor, now it has marginally improved. My 'fear' of 3 putting meant I always tried to baby the ball to the hole so that it basically died at the hole, in theory leaving me a tap in. Invariably this meant I was always short, and 3 putts were still regular. However, in the past 6 months my putting has vastly improved - I pick a line, think about putting a good roll on the ball on that line and make a confident stroke - the ball gets past the hole and I've holed more 1 putts in the past 6-8 months than I ever have. For example, I'd about a 35ft downhill left to right, made a good putting stroke, missed the hole about 1" high and rolled 8' past - so terrible distance control, but the stroke and line was good. Normally, I'd baby the 2nd putt and tap in for 3 but now I simply think I know the line and put a confident stroke on that line. Worked on this occasion (doesn't every time), but proportionally there's a big difference, just from giving it a chance.

I practice at home on the carpet now - purely on strike and getting a good roll. I think putting is individual but for what it is worth in order to get the good roll I need to have more weight on my left hand side - still need a solid base but I'm not 50/50 in terms of weight distribution.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aimpoint

Find a qualified aimpoint pro and go see how they do it

I sat the course few weeks back.
Haven’t played much (new born baby and work)
But I’ve had a practice and a few holes and I can honestly feel soon as I’m on the green I’m going to hole the putt

simonm8

Visit site
My putting this year has been shocking.. over 40 rounds averaging 38 putts.. (13hcp) using a odyssey works 7 putter that I was fit for... Anyways messing about the other week in AG and had a go of the ping fetch.. WOW.. might be honeymoon period but after a hr on putting green practicing getting used to the feel over and messing with the length over 2 days... played 2 rounds since and putts have been 29 & 31.. My distance control improved little but the dramatic improvement is getting the ball on start line.. spoke to pro and we worked out the way I stand a shorted putter works even though 34" is meant to be correct length my ping is set at 32.75..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play at this time of year the greens are so inconsistent on a day to day basis due to the greens having a mix of grasses with different growth patterns I see little point in practicing a lot. I am losing strokes on the greens at the moment that I do not usually lose in the summer.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would support the following methods:

1. Find a pro, build a practice routine, practice.

2. Find your own way, practice being under pressure.

I tried way 1 but found I didn't like putting so much that I'd literally practice anything else. I could spend 10 minutes on a green and I'd be bored stiff regardless of drills, games etc.

I'm now in way 2 and my putting last weekend in a club match was the best it's ever been. I'm playing a match again Saturday. I used never play matches. Now I see them as a way to practice the business of holing out under pressure, or at least when it means something, because I found my putting on a practice green and the real thing were totally different beasts.

This was assisted by my caddy at the Old Course last summer pointing out what I do wrong especially on longer putts. Short backswing. Open putter face. I don't do those as much when not putting FOR something, probably my grip gets tight. So I changed the way I grip the putter, really concentrated on taking the putter back slowly and fully and voila. Lagging 40/50 footers to gimme distance for fun. That was 3 putt country. The final frontier is holing out, I reckon I'll get there.

I'm 5' 8 and used to leave the toe up at address too, cut my putter down to 32", lock my wrists better, problem solved.

It's a game within a game and one I always thought was the weakest part of mine, very glad to feel like I'm making progress at last, hope you find way 1 or 2 the right way OP

mister v

Visit site
I struggled with pace and every round I'd leave a 15 foot putt 5 feet short and 3 putt regularly , its like i cant hit the ball hard enough!! so i've invested in a putt out mat and am practicing as im so fed up of not improving my handicap!!
By the end of this season i want to be at least a shot better or I'll have to start all over again next year......

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
My problem was usually over hitting putts to the point where they would go just as far past the hole and end up 3 putting.

I set out to just avoid 3 putts for a few rounds and try and 2 putt everything. I was just trying to get to within 2/3 feet with first putt instead of trying to hole it. Found that helped get the pace right and then started going at the hole a bit more. Probably improved by around 5 shots per round.

Probably a weird way of doing things but seemed to help me.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Putting mat a huge help for me along with a hacksaw! Always used to feel uncomfortable over the ball until I was gifted an old putter with a long shaft, took a hacksaw to it, down to 31in and hey presto!! Very natural comfortable stance and they started to drop.Now watching people putt with their hands way down the grip I'm desperate to say "you know I've got a hacksaw" .All my putters now same length and grip and never looked back

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting mat a huge help for me along with a hacksaw! Always used to feel uncomfortable over the ball until I was gifted an old putter with a long shaft, took a hacksaw to it, down to 31in and hey presto!! Very natural comfortable stance and they started to drop.Now watching people putt with their hands way down the grip I'm desperate to say "you know I've got a hacksaw" .All my putters now same length and grip and never looked back
A mate of mine got an Odyssey, tank variety (similar to my own but newer), and he deliberate got one where the shaft was a bit too long as he preferred it with some of the shaft weight above his hands (presumably). It's a 35 inch length but he's only 5'9 so to look at him you'd guess he needed a 33 incher. But yeah, he actually likes it that way for some reason. Each to their own I guess.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
A mate of mine got an Odyssey, tank variety (similar to my own but newer), and he deliberate got one where the shaft was a bit too long as he preferred it with some of the shaft weight above his hands (presumably). It's a 35 inch length but he's only 5'9 so to look at him you'd guess he needed a 33 incher. But yeah, he actually likes it that way for some reason. Each to their own I guess.
Absolutely! Until we have to draw pictures rather than numbers on the card it's all good 😁

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
my best round ever was a five over gross 75 ,when i looked back at the round and used the embelishment on HDID it turned out that I had taken an awful lot of putts ,like 40 of them .which is bloody terrible ,and why my h/cap is so high.