Putting woes

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
hope you can help me on this one.

In a year, I play a lot of different courses in a monthly competition and I seem to struggle to get to grips on the greens. The practise area is never the same and my home club is also different. So it takes me a few holes to in sync with the greens. As its a stableford format, I ma loosing points.

I can practise technique etc at home course, but any thoughts on how to adapt quickly to new courses would be much appreciated!

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

In a year, I play a lot of different courses in a monthly competition and I seem to struggle to get to grips on the greens. The practise area is never the same and my home club is also different. So it takes me a few holes to in sync with the greens. As its a stableford format, I ma loosing points.

I can practise technique etc at home course, but any thoughts on how to adapt quickly to new courses would be much appreciated!

Lot at the grass to see how long it is. Generally the shorter and finer the grass, the faster the speed. Also look at the line of your putt from at least two angles (normally from behind and the side) to get the break and whether uphill or downhill. Practice greens are often a bit faster than the real greens.

Last edited:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lot at the grass to see how long it is. Generally the shorter and finer the grass, the faster the speed. Also look at the line of your putt from at least two angles (normally from behind and the side) to get the break and whether uphill or downhill. Practice greens are often a bit faster than the real greens.

Thanks Delc - that's useful advice. I must admit I do rush my putting at times so this could help slow it down.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

maybes a couple of things worth thinking over

do you have a routine that takes place the same ways, takes about the same time, every time you approach a putt?

what's the thought process, the intention of, how the energy gets into the ball to produce different 'weights' of putt for different putt lengths? meaning are you consciously/subconsciously trying to hit the ball harder or softer, to produce those different distances?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
maybes a couple of things worth thinking over

do you have a routine that takes place the same ways, takes about the same time, every time you approach a putt?

what's the thought process, the intention of, how the energy gets into the ball to produce different 'weights' of putt for different putt lengths? meaning are you consciously/subconsciously trying to hit the ball harder or softer, to produce those different distances?

If I am honest, I have no idea! I think I might need lessons! :confused:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I am honest, I have no idea! I think I might need lessons! :confused:

I am certainly not an expert, but the great thing about putting is practice really does improve things. The more you do it, the better you will get. You can practice at home, or on the course during practice rounds, or the putting green before any round. The key thing is to practice right.

Find a grip that works for you and just practice practice practice. Here is a great video (ignore the bold claims though) that can help as it gives some decent drills.

[video=youtube;DJ-r7jxvz1s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-r7jxvz1s[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The most common reason for poor putting is inconsistency.
The body moves all over the place, the elbows stick out everywhere and the combination of the swing length and 'hitting' the putt means the distance control goes out the window.

By all means, practice hard but if you are practising all the above, you wont see much improvement.

Assuming you've read the line properly..........

You need to keep your lower body very still to control the direction
And to control the distance, you need to stop the hands/wrists from flicking/hitting the putt.

Practice those basics and you will see an improvement

HTH