Putting with the flagstick in

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's certainly been enough testing to show that scientifically it's better to leave it in. But some people may have a mental block with it to start with, so if they can't get in the right mindset to put with a flag in, they'll have to keep taking it out.
Best summary of the subject I've seen anywhere! 🤗

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This seems to be the thread on the topic with the most accurate going. Just a few observation so far:

Most of us probably played enough solo rounds 'stick-in' before the rule change to form an opinion on what type of putts it could help, but I've played enough now with groups to gather more info. And it definitely has helped with a few downhill racers, and a few really long putts that would probably have left lengthy comebackers. Once greens really get hard and fast mid-summer, I'll probably factor leaving the pin. For now, I'm sticking with my old thought to avoid anything that could get in the way of good putts. Adding to that thought are a few putts that hit the stick and got weird caroms, almost seeming to kick farther from the hole than they would've rolled naturally.

Something sort of bizarre that's happened twice already. Once when I reached into the hole to retrieve the ball, unseen fiberglass shards from the shaft of the flagstick ripped the palm of my hand, and some of those shards remained embedded for a week. Not fun. Same thing happened with a friend, with a metal pin. Just a heads-up.
Could be a redesign of flag material is needed .
As fibreglass splinters are not nice.

Skip Surf

Visit site
Could be a redesign of flag material is needed .
As fibreglass splinters are not nice.

That's why I felt compelled to share. Was glad to make the putt, but trust me, painful sharp shards surfacing a week later is not the preferable way to remember it.

And although the research we've seen is from mechanical devices similar to Stimpmeters, and I'd really like to see practical stats from accumulated actual play, I'm now more inclined to leave the pin in. Even at risk from stick shards...

Last edited:

Skip Surf

Visit site
Completely off topic, but now seeing how some of these fibreglass flagsticks splinter at the base reminds me of something I've always wondered about -- at what temperature or conditions do you risk snapping a club shaft? I've been playing in temperatures that only a hardy few will dare (hey, the ball *does* travel farther on nearly frozen turf, one benefit. Plus, you can't believe how fast a round you can get with zero others on a course.), but always ponder when one of my carbon fibre shafts is going to give way.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Completely off topic, but now seeing how some of these fibreglass flagsticks splinter at the base reminds me of something I've always wondered about -- at what temperature or conditions do you risk snapping a club shaft? I've been playing in temperatures that only a hardy few will dare (hey, the ball *does* travel farther on nearly frozen turf, one benefit. Plus, you can't believe how fast a round you can get with zero others on a course.), but always ponder when one of my carbon fibre shafts is going to give way.
Specs should be on oems website .but don’t think they will show sub zero playing characteristics.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't know why you believe your carbon fibre shafts will suddenly give way but to reassure you consider fishing rods and ski, climbing poles, ice axe handles etc which operate fine in conditions that you won't be playing golf in.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you hit a tree with it usually.

mini_me

www.spreadshirt.co.uk
Does anyone know if this is allowed.
I have a long putt and hole the ball with the flag still in.
Is there anything in the rules that state that my ball must be removed from the hole before my playing partners play their putts from similar distance and also hole the putt while my ball is still in the hole ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there anything in the rules that state that my ball must be removed from the hole before my playing partners play their putts from similar distance and also hole the putt while my ball is still in the hole ??
Your ball is holed so is out of play so yes this is allowed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There is nothing in the rules and tests have shown that with 3 balls already in the hole there is no risk of a 4th ball bouncing out of the hole.

I tried for ages to get my mates to wait until all the balls were in the hole before one person only took them out to save the wear around the hole to no avail.