Putting with the flag in....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A flagstick moving around in a stronger wind is going to present a bit of a distraction. Links guys will tell us if that is a real consideration for the short putts.

In the unusually windy conditions experienced last weekend I'm thinking an oscillating flagstick might have contributed to me missing an 18" putt - or it might just have been a rubbish putt.

Links flag poles are usually some sort of metal/aluminium therefore do not move about.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played at Tlney Park in Hampshire on Saturday in the gale force winds. They used the narrower versions of flagsticks and they were definitely moving about in the gusts so it seemed logical to have the flag out on anything from 15 feet and in and taking the chance of it being blown at an angle out of the equation. I wasn't too bothered on longer putts and left it in as did the rest of the group.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
you must get it much windier in down south than we do on the north coast of Scotland:LOL::ROFLMAO:
As per Homer's post.....Saturday was exceptionally breezy - for Southern England. Flags used 'darn sarf' are not 'geared' for that level of wind (so are pretty thin/light), but they are in Scotland - where I played for several years (where ther are pretty solid/rigid).

BigEasyERGC

Visit site
Would do it in bounce games but my club has introduced new flag pins for this season which are much thicker that your standard flag pin, so the ball has a tendency to ricochet off the pin instead of dropping in the hole.