richart

Major Champion
Visit site
OP asked for the one thing that improved your putting the most.:whistle:

Keeping head still would probably help, buit not able to do so.:(

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buying a Raa putter that I subsequently hated.

Taking sympathy on it and giving it one last chance.

Chopping an inch of the shaft and fitting an Iomic classic grip.

Changed my grip to be more of a baseball style from a vardon

I've never putted as good as I have.

Change of grip and learning to use my new putter.

Love the damn thing now.

Cheers Gareth !

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Practice. And practice and practice and practice.

I love putting, and can spend a couple of hours on a good practice green. I'll play lots of match play games by myself on a putting green, #1 ball v #2 ball. Or I'll find the most difficult putt on the green and play it over and over again.

On Saturday I holed 7 putts between 8' and 15'.

The tee to green bit is the annoying bit that gets in the way of the fun.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
Practice

Buying 2 x 1 m astro turf sheets from Lidle

Board with mouse holes cut out smallest being less half an inch larger than a golf ball

Practice again

Keeping records of how many putts are holed as a challange

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I switched my grip so that my left hand is below my right (I'm right handed) it's quitened down my right hand trying to dominate and let's my shoulders just swing

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Another thing I remembered yesterday while playing which has helped me enormously is to think of the putting motion more as "pulling with the left hand" than "pushing with the right hand" (because that was exactly what I was doing earlier this year when my putting totally went off the tracks). I am a right handed player and use a standard right hand low grip. The reasoning behind that is easy. Imagine you have one of those little wooden model trains for small children ... no tracks, just a locomotive and some cars behind it ... basically, a chain of moving parts. Now, if you try to push that from behind, it is going to be very wobbly and difficult to keep on line. If you pull it from the front, on the other hand, everything just follows nicely. It might not be the best analogy, but this image and the feeling of pulling instead of pushing has helped me to get my putting back in line.

In the backstroke, on the other hand, I pull with the right hand. So the complete stroke is a combination of pull right, pull left.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Find a putter that suits your eye. Tinker with different putting grips (traditional, left below right, claw etc) until you find one that gives consistent good results. Practice lots, even a half hour on the green before every round helps.

One think I would say, if you play in the winter don't get hung up on bad putting results on bad greens as it will drive you nuts.

S17er

Club Champion
Visit site
1. Moving to a fat grip
2. Moving to left hand low
3. Practice
4. On fast putts having the mentality of getting it to the hole rather than trying to hole it.

D

Deleted member 1147

Finding out that I was aiming left of target all the time,
Had a lesson on the SAM putt lab, my stroke was proven to be good & consistent. But when discussing the results I pointed out that I missed left a lot, in spite of these good readings.So we looked in more detail at my approach (line on the ball etc) and found I set the putter face aiming left of where I thought it was!

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I watched a david ledbetter short game video where he said the most imporyant thing was to have a good tempo on the putter stroke. He said to think 1 going back and 2 going forward. It's really helped my putting!

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finding a putter that I liked the look of. Getting the speed of greens before I went out on the course and most importantly, I don't worry about the stroke or anything at all. I let my natural instincts take over! Very rarely go over 32 putts, not shocked when I have 26 in a round :)

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Practice on my matt at home. Just holing 6foot straight putts. Every putt is straight, once you've made the read.