Putting, what improved yours most?

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
1. I Found a putter that I hit more times out of the middle than any of my previous models. If you aren't getting it out of the middle of the putter you distance judgement will be rubbish and you will throw putts off line.
2. Concentrate on the Target, not the hole. The target is everything and maybe 2 foot wide of the hole so don't look at the hole, look at the target.
3. Forget about your stroke, just hit it. You can't get all technical and careful over a 2 footer, you will find more reasons to miss than sink it.
4. Embrace the 3 putt. If you are going to go for putts, you may make the ocassional 3 putt, don't worry about it. I make less now than I ever did and whole a ton more putts.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've always been a decent putter....used to a lot of putting green play on holidays etc and then when I started to play properly it didn't feel awkward.
Getting a putter you're comfortable with is important.
And putting on reasonable greens too. A poor surface to a green can make anyone feel like!e a bad putter.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1. Find out which is your master eye, address the shot with this eye over the ball (and consequently the target line)
2. Get a good putter that suits your style, Ping face balanced in my case.
3. Keep your body still
4. Use a line on the ball to line up your shot
5. Get into the mindset of not leaving it short

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to have a carpet in the house that was dots in a square pattern, great for checking the path and clubface.

Also spent a lot of time on the practice putting green waiting for my lifts home!

D

Deleted member 1740

A lesson which led to a change of grip.

There was a lot of movement in my stroke and I was right hand dominant.

Change of grip and less upper body movement and the stroke is miles better.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without doubt, Aimpoint and a Raa putter fitting. I've increased the Swingweight to E0 by putting on a Lightweight P2 grip and with the heavier feel the balls rolling better and starting online, and with an insight to Aimpoint Speed I'm working on my speed now. I find it hilarious when I stick fingers up, see my aimpoint, line my ball and putter there and see it either shave the hole or hole it.. I just giggle to myself with some of the looks.

Side tracking a little but I do work a lot on my putting.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Still a 'work in progress' for me at the moment but I think I've found a putter that may suit my needs although you'll probably pee yerself larfing when you find out what it is, it's a 'Bronty Bulldog' and probably from the 60's or 70's but I do have to say I've never hit any of my other putters as straight or accurate as this one...

There's no loft on it at all whereas most modern putters have upto 5* of loft I think it is 'which' creates that little hoppy/skippy thing that they do, the 'Brontosaurus' as I think I'm gonna call it from now on just hits the ball flat and straight, it makes I chuckle every time I use it it does... :thup:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SAM put lab at Hopwood Cottage.
Face balanced Scotty Kombi s had it for four years now never misses.
ok it misses sometimes!
Leather grip is amazing.
You need to love it when you look down on your putter and there are some very ugly ones .
If it works it doesn't matter if it cost 200 or 10 quid.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 things improved my putting in stages.

(small improvements each time)

1st was a switch to a centre shafted/faced balanced putter.

2nd was - I was never shown the reverse overlap putting grip until I had played for about 8 years and a switch to that got me more consistent.

3rd was a freebie lesson from a pro who switched my stroke to one third back and two thirds through ie accelerate through the ball.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I changed to a zero offset putter which has really helped me line up the putts more consistently (I was told that zero offset is good for left eye dominant people and it has certainly helped)

Also working to keep my body still when putting has helped, I use the mirror and can see head movement.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What improved it most? Developing a simple routine. And after I'd settled on something that I was comfortable with and that seemed to be working - I stuck with it no matter what - no tweaks, fiddles or any change whatsoever. Then repeating it for every putt - no matter how long or short - so that it has now become the way I putt.

Only if my putting becomes consistently inconsistent will I consider changing some aspect of it - though I probably won't change the pre-address routine at all.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have putted better this season by buying a new putter as I had lost all faith in my old one. I am still not brilliant but a lot better than I have been

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Jamie Donaldson, the Aimpoint coach, telling me that I had more moving parts in my putting than Hogan had with his irons