Putting stance

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I've started working on my putting while its the winter.
Looking at my stance i have always putted with no knee bend whatsoever, my knees are locked with very straight
legs and my feet about shoulder width apart.

Is this a big 'no no'?...... whilst searching youtube for putting tips I have noticed that everyone advises a slight knee flex.

Can anyone tell me why this is and should I adopt a knee flex or carry on as normal as long as I can repeat a good stroke?

Thanks in advance,
Jim.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I read once (Think it was a GM mag) about having some flex in your knees and elbows to help relieve tension and in turn make a smoother stroke.

No doubt someone with considerably more knowledge than me will be along shortly to shoot me down :smirk:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting is very individual. If you have found a way that works for you. Do not change it, no matter what anyone tells you. If your putting is rubbish then thats a differant story!

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Study the good putters on tour.
Luke D. wouldn't be a bad putter to copy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUISLjt_lj8&feature=related

Although its a L to R putt, Luke stands very open IMO!

When your legs shake due to the pressure you put yourself under when over a 'must make' putt, it can be helpful to lock your legs! It must breed tension, but the tension is away from your hands, so that must be a good thing.

Try many methods and see what works for you is my advice.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
putting is as individual as handwriting, do whats natural and comfortable to you-

remember you are only taking a flat peice of metal and nudging a ball a few feet in the direction you aimed, try not to get too technical

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As for a bit of variation. Check out Simon Dyson on the practice green

Dyson.jpg

Not too much knee flex there, but then, Bob did say good putters :smirk:

As a side note. Are there any "Bad" putters on tour?

I'd have thought they would all be of a good standard. With some obviously better than others.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As a side note. Are there any "Bad" putters on tour?

I'd have thought they would all be of a good standard. With some obviously better than others.

At their level, it still comes down to those crucial putts and it's rarely a coincidence that the best putters win more

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Study the good putters on tour.
Luke D. wouldn't be a bad putter to copy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUISLjt_lj8&feature=related

Interesting video that. We all know how good Donald is at holing putts yet that doesn't look like a putting stroke that someone would get taught if they went for a lesson (open stance, head turns, putter face comes inside quite abrupty). Not knocking it, just an observation.

Putting is very individual. If you have found a way that works for you. Do not change it, no matter what anyone tells you. If your putting is rubbish then thats a differant story!

I actually agree with DaveM... someone give me a valium!!! :mad:

NB: It's 'different' not 'differant' :smirk:

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have been struggling with the putter, and have just narrowed my stance, which has made a huge difference. Found a wide stance made me too rigid, but now seem have a better flow to the stroke. When I was a junior I used to play with someone who putted side saddle. Looked awful but results were great. Whatever gets the job done.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
At their level, it still comes down to those crucial putts and it's rarely a coincidence that the best putters win more

Chris

Totally agree Chris.

The point I tried to make (Poorly) was that even the best putters in the game have "off days" where they can't buy a putt. There are other days where some of the more average tour putters sink everything they look at.

Stupid game :smirk:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree it's what works for you.

I have been considered a good putter by my peers, I did get into a downward spiral with my putting a little while ago, I started using a straight back and forward putt as suggested by Dave Pelz. The more I worked on this style the worse my putting became, I tried shortening my putter, using a face balanced putter but all to no avail.

In frustration I grabbed an old putter of mine that was longer and with a bit more weight, along with my current putter. I went to the putting green and spent 3 hours trying different styles, I found that a more upright stance with an inside to square to inside putting stroke created the best results. I have now set my putting stroke on this style again and have started to make so many good putts once more.

To get back to the OP. I do like to flex my knees a little as it removes tension.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Spent a couple of hours putting yesterday (surprised myself actually and didn't get bored)
Tried to compare both my usual locked knee, quite tall stance and a more 'advised' slight bend / flex in the knees stance.
The latter naturally made my stance shorter by an inch or so which felt strange. After giving it some time I still
could not get as consistent results as my usual upright / locked knee stance.

So I got the old iping thingy out on the phone and compared the two and it confirmed I was more consistent with my normal stance.

Felt much more comfortable with my normal stance in general with no noticeable tension in my arms or hands so will just work on stroke now and hope to improve for next season.

Thanks for all the replys.
Jim.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I used to lock my legs and have a lot of spine angle to get my eyes over the ball, effective however practicing made my back hurt like hell.

If 'feel' like my legs take a lot more of the weight now I have my knees slightly bent, how true that is I don't know.