putting methods

D

Deleted member 1147

I was recently advised that you must make sure your eyes always stay on the ball, don't follow the clubhead on the way back, and definitely don't, try to see where the ball is going.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Personally putting is about feel. As soon as I stopped thinking about my stroke and just looked at line and pace I putted much better. It's easy to get bogged down in technical details, stance, grip etc. and ending up focussed on hitting at the ball rather than rolling it at the hole. The drill i always use is just to stand over the ball and putt balls, not at a hole, just putt so it feels like second nature. Lastly, a good putt is one where it went where I aimed, not one that goes in the hole. Oh and practice from 8 feet and in. Any chip to 8 feet looks makeable when you've practiced these often enough.

Edit: I used to get a bit obsessed with having a really perfect straight back straight through stroke whisch led me to getting 'stuck' over the ball. Then one day whilst messing about I just stood over the ball and made the below stroke with my putter - a clockwise circular/looping stroke. To my surprise I hit the middle of the putter more often than not and it went on the same line as it would with a noral stroke. It taught me to trust may ability to make a good stroke and use my natural hand-eye co-ordination. Image below is view from over the ball.

1649249566139.png

Last edited: