Putting - Left hand dominant & left eye dominant

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Anyone on here left hand dominant and left eye dominant?

I'm left handed and left footed but I play golf right handed and putt right handed (as I do when I batted at cricket).

I'm also left eye dominant so when i putt I tend to get open in my stance and behind the ball (bit like Nicklaus). This allows me to see the line better but I have issues with long distance putting as I really struggle to judge how hard to hit it, as I'm guessing it's my right hand controlling the power.

If you asked me to roll the ball from my hand at the hole I'd use my left hand, not right. As a result I'm considering putting left handed.

I just wondered if anyone else on here had similar experience/issues?

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not an answer to your question, but I gave up trying to line up putts standing over them. It just never looked right wherever I stood.

Now I line up using lines on the ball and then line the putter up with those lines. Except on short ones.

Tinkerman

Visit site
I'm left eye dominant and left footed but right handed and I play golf left handed! I initially started putting left handed but like you, would throw or roll a ball with my other hand, so I switched. I found my distance control was far better once I switched.
Have given up hiring clubs when abroad as they never remembered to put a RH putter in with the LH clubs!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fit the brief. I originally did putt left handed, swung right handed, but ultimately it was pretty unsuccessful so went to right handed for everything. I'm very streaky when it comes to putting. My best is average, my worst is poor. Direction is my issue, not weight of putt though.

Have you tried having your right hand quite loose? Deliberately go lighter with your right hand, have it more as a guide than use it for force.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have recently changed my putting address position when it was pointed out how my very strong right eye dominance was impacting how I saw the line of putts when standing over the ball - and why I missed so many putts right. Especially frustrating on the shorter ones.

This was demonstrated to me on the putting green. Dead straight putt. From behind ball find a spot on the green absolutely dead on line to the hole. Take my address and what do I see of the line from my ball through the spot on the green? Yup it looks that I am missing left…and so my head compensates and starts ball slightly to the right of that line. And of course I miss to the right - the ‘push’ right I knew I was doing but not knowing why.

New address position with me standing much more ‘away‘ from the ball to take out the right eye dominance - and things pretty much sorted.

This was discussed on here in a thread started March 22nd called Improving Putting and a link to a vid was given that shows perfectly all of the above.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have recently changed my putting address position when it was pointed out how my very strong right eye dominance was impacting how I saw the line of putts when standing over the ball - and why I missed so many putts right. Especially frustrating on the shorter ones.

This was demonstrated to me on the putting green. Dead straight putt. From behind ball find a spot on the green absolutely dead on line to the hole. Take my address and what do I see of the line from my ball through the spot on the green? Yup it looks that I am missing left…and so my head compensates and starts ball slightly to the right of that line. And of course I miss to the right - the ‘push’ right I knew I was doing but not knowing why.

New address position with me standing much more ‘away‘ from the ball to take out the right eye dominance - and things pretty much sorted.

This was discussed on here in a thread started March 22nd called Improving Putting and a link to a vid was given that shows perfectly all of the above.
The Mike Malaska one.
Eye opener .

sunshine

Visit site

I had this issue and there is a really quick fix. Just draw a line on the ball and line up your putts from behind using the line. There’s a reason why it’s so popular.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
left handed and footed but right eye dominant, play golf and putt righthanded, putting has always been the worst part of my game , but I think that is down to technique rather that sighting problems. I do use the line on the ball to help me

sunshine

Visit site
I’m left handed, left footed , play golf right handed. But I’m right eye dominant.

If you feel like you are controlling the swing with your hands or even right hand I’m not surprised you are struggling with pace. I try and feel a rocking motion with my shoulders, it’s the top of my left arm where it becomes the shoulder that controls how hard I hit a putt.

I’ve messed around with left handed putters and I can putt equally well with either, I think it’s because my stroke is a simple back and forward of the shoulders.