Putting for dough

Little Jockey

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I used to putt very well, but recently I have been struggling, overthinking, caring too much I suppose you could say. The 4 footers that I used to ram home with contempt now appear like a ten footer.

Just wondering what drills you guys use to boost your putting confidence?

Look forward to hearing your comments.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would guess you are thinking about it too much. Gain control by letting go of control. Visualise the putt going in, and just make the stroke. Don't think about stance, grip, taking the putter away. Just let it happen

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
not really. I suspect I am not keeping my body (Head) down on the ball, as I do get good roll.

Try this drill.
Stand with your rear gently touching a chair with even pressure on both sides.
Then stroke some putts keeping the pressure constant on both cheeks
That should keep your lower half quiet.
If that doesn't help, I may have another solution
:whistle:

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Little Jockey

Club Champion
Visit site
Try this drill.
Stand with your rear gently touching a chair with even pressure on both sides.
Then stroke some putts keeping the pressure constant on both cheeks
That should keep your lower half quiet.
If that doesn't help, I may have another solution
:whistle:

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Thanks BobMac... I will look a right tool, but worth the pain!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Try practising 4-footers! I'm pretty good at 8-footers and that happens to be the main distance I use on the putting green. Serious putting practise now involves the spiral - 10-12 balls at distances from 2 to 7 feet around a hole, seeing how far I can get before missing or how many times I can sink them all. Good test of pressure putts too.

And 1 putting guru suggested the following to me when I mentioned how the many thoughts I had (of misses in previous holes) got in the way and created tension.

Ieally, zero thoughts work best. But as that is impossible, think of 1 thing pleasant - not necessarily golf related. That 'flushes' all the tension-building thoughts and the stroke becomes much smoother.