Putting alignment

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love to improve the chipping, Dave. Been trying hard for 3 years now. The number of putts would come flying down. But it's a hard game around my home turf. I'm usually chipping up banks to raised undulating links greens with no grass under the ball. Not easy for me. Sometimes I'm just thinking about keeping it on the green at all! When I play flatter parkland courses it's a comparative doddle because there's nothing to think about apart from the weight of the chip.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, flat greens and lush turf make things way easier.
I tend to chip with 7/8 irons and even my woods around links greens. The best shot I ever played was a 3 wood chip from 40 yrds. I guess the old texas wedge is popular around your club!!

Dave

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, Dave. Our 5th is a 393 yard par 4 and we're usually putting from 100 yards after the drive because it's one of the few ways to get near the pin when it's at the front of the green!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
J-F, you're entitled to time to assess and line up your putt. An elder statesman that I played a few holes with told me to always mark and pick-up before every putt, no matter how short - so how much extra time is aligning your ball going to take. (you always lift it to check for dirt don't you?).
Like you, when I do line it up, it always looks different from on top - and I keep disbelieving.
I don't know why, but on long putts 'instinctive alignment' often works better for me.
(I wish I could say I always did as he said but I'm usually so relieved to reach the green that I rush the putt.)

by the way realgolfer, I appreciated the chipping tips!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tried this technique on course with a playing partner for the first time today. You're right, guys, it doesn't take any more time.

The greens I was playing on had been hollow tigned and top dressed so maybe not the best example but I felt very comfortable with the "new" lines I was taking and I think that with a bit of perseverence and better greens I'll be sinking a few more every round. Praise the Lord!