Putters Shortened

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speaking to my friend the other day on the putting green and he seems to think that changing the length of a putter affects the sweet spot.

For example, his demonstration.

A 34 inch putter cut down to 33 inches.
He held the shaft lightly about half way up and tapped a golf ball along the face until the point where the vibrations were dampened the most and called this the sweet spot. Which after he cut his putter down an inch had moved about 1/4 towards the heel.

The demo made sense and pretty sure the sweet spot was towards the heel but could cutting down the putter cause this or could it have been at that point all the time??

Just wondering if anyone else was familiar with this.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure... I know putter length is very important and an individual thing but for it to adjust the sweetspot position...???? Not sure

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
the sweetspot for a club head is the point at which it will balance on a pin (without a handle attached!)

what you can move by cutting off a bit of hollow tubing is the centre of gravity of the assembled putter - and that is along the axis of the shaft. The only other thing with a putter is whether it's face or heel balanced and I can't see it altering that

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
It will efect the swing weight and if you wanted to keep it the same as before youd have to add weight (i think)
some putters like scotty's have interchangable weights in the sole. Or you can buy stick on weights from your pro.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Got my putter back from the pro shop on Sunday evening. It feels fantastic and I can't wait to use it on Wednesday. No more toe sticking up in the air, should cut my 3 putts down a bit
:D :D :D :D :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Got my putter back from the pro shop on Sunday evening. It feels fantastic and I can't wait to use it on Wednesday. No more toe sticking up in the air, should cut my 3 putts down to about 5 or 6
:D :D :D :D :D

Fixed.

And don't come running to me if the greens are rubbish :mad: :D ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Playing Blackmoor Bob so they are bound to be good.
I much prefer fast greens, the bloody things I putted on last week were like temps. And every hole was crowned. The number of times I hit a ball straight at the hole and it stopped like it had thrown an anchor out.
Did my head in.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Playing Blackmoor Bob so they are bound to be good.
I much prefer fast greens, the bloody things I putted on last week were like temps. And every hole was crowned. The number of times I hit a ball straight at the hole and it stopped like it had thrown an anchor out.
Did my head in.

Forgot to tell you Smiffy, they have heavily sanded the greens, and got the mats out in your honour.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Well it works! Despite playing like an absolute plank yesterday my putting was fantastic. 30 putts and felt much more "in control". Initially felt that I would need to add a little more weight to the putter but then realised the greens were slower than I thought.
Think I'm going to get on with it just fine.

T

thecraw

Since I'm currently off work at present I decided to fart about with my newly acquired Odyssey #7 putter. I griped it a few times until I felt really comfortable and it felt natural.

I then proceeded to get the shaft cutter out and lopped a whopping 3.5 inches off it making the shaft 31.5 inches! Quite short however it feels amazing, and naturally comfortable.

Anyway I thereafter rolled a lump of lead tape together and wedged that into the butt of the putter shaft before re-griping the club with my 2Thumb grip.

It feels just right, for me anyway.