Putter length question.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Afternoon all.

I've been working on improving my putting over the last couple of weeks, and will be ordering a V-Easy at the end of the month to help towards this end.

My question is this.

I'm 6ft tall and I currenty have a 34" putter. After 5-10 minutes of practice I get a dull ache in my middle/lower back. Not so much a pain, just a dull ache.

Would switching to a longer length putter help alleviate this ache in order for me to practice longer, and if so how will it affect my putting?

As usual, any and all opinions welcome.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
No real answer as putting styles differ. Some bend over more than others, some extend their arms more, etc, etc.

For my personal putting stroke I went from a 35" to a 33" and it made a world of difference! The 35" was causing my putting stroke to be a figure of 8 shape. The 33" eliminated almost all of this due to a better putter balance.

PS I'm 6'2" and putting style is shoulders in a line method.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As an opposite example, I'm 5'8" and have gone from 32" to 34".

I thought the 32" felt more comfortable to me, but it was causing me to aim left. I had it pointed out to me that I was aiming left, but didn't know it was the putter length causing it.

At the AG/GM putter fitting I was given a telescopic putter to set up with and discovered 34" actually suited me better!

I'd recommend having a go with the telescopic putter if you can find someone with one, as there's no ideal length for your height. Everyone's different.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Over 6 foot, and use a 36 1/2" putter. I suffer from back problems, and prefer a longer putter. I normally putt pretty well with it. I might putt better with a shorter putter, but I will never find out, as I have my putter for life.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i recall Raymond Floyd used a longer than average putter, purely because it allowed him to practise for much longer without hurting his back