Putter Grip Style

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date

What Putter Grip Style Do You Use

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 21445

Mainly due to my age I still think quite traditionally about the game of golf.

Always used a conventional grip style for putting.

Recently due to watching the pros I have tried, changed and seen an improvement in my putting stats and general confidence.
Wont say what I have gone to but im interested to hear how many still use a conventional putting style.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Conventional for me. I did try the claw grip a while ago and whilst it was very good for short putts I struggled on longer ones. In the end I went back to conventional, messed about with putters and have found that made a bigger difference to me than the grip style.

Whatever works though, there is no wrong answer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine's pretty normal. Have briefly experimented with others on the practise greens, as you do, but all of them feel weird and would take too much getting used to, so I stuck with what I know. Well I haven't tried a long putter / arm lock since I don't have one obviously, but I really wouldn't want a really long putter sticking out of the bag anyway.

Putting has been pretty dreadful since we came back though so who knows? Watch this space, haha.

Mandofred

Visit site
My putting has completely disappeared since starting up again. I prefer grips themselves on the larger size and experiment WAY too often using padded racket tape to change the width of the grips. I have about 4 different actual hand positions I alternate through.....some days each one of those works better than the others, which is why I make sure I get on the practice green before playing. If I'm not comfortable with a grip on that day.....it just doesn't go well. So I change to one that feels better. I have another grip (5th) that I use out of desperation, and it quite often works better than you would think....my version of the claw....I put the grip inbetween the index and middle finger on my right hand....tend to put straighter for some reason. I'm nuts though.....

Today I went back to my Odyssey white hot insert blade (always use a mallet style) from 5 years or so ago......putted pretty well (still crap...but....) and might use it again next time. I'd really like to try one of the Evnroll er2 wide body blade style putters.....bit of an expensive experiment though:unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Conventional to me means the same as your grip for your normal swing.

I think one finger down the shaft is pretty common but not so much both fingers.
I'm not sure because I have what you'd call a strong grip for the other clubs, but I've never known a putting grip to be strong or weak? That would be weird.

I did think the index finger was common, I'm sure the reason I do it is because they taught us that on my group lesson when I was 14 and I've just done it ever since.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mines turned into a bit of a hybrid and I’m loving it! I was and have been majority a conventional with a small dabble in the claw mid 2019, I found it very stable but I found it had a max power of 25ft (we had some huge greens at my old club)

During jan I watch a choob video about having the putter more diagonal in the left hand and a good check was to run the index finger down the leading edge of grip. In a recent game I tried this and with the right hand index finger running down the training edge.

This is an absolute game changer for me, all handsy movement has gone and the distance control is phenomenal. With both hands locked of leaves nothing but a balanced shoulder rock.

Back to the perfect putt mat for the final tweeks but I’m sorted for my putting grip, which is a grip ive always struggled with

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Conventional for me - I tried the claw once and hated the feel of it.
All the other grips feel bad to me, and I think it's because I'm so right-handed, as in, my left arm is really weak by comparison, and so many of those alternate grips take your right hand out of the equation. So for me holding the putter predominantly in my left hand makes it feel loose and unstable. I don't feel like I can lead the putter with my left, rightly or wrongly I have to kind of push it through with my right.

Fabia999

Visit site
Claw grip for me. Feel like I have much more control.

I really want to try a Bryson length putter but I don’t want to change mine incase I hate it, any ideas where I can try one?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Claw grip for me. Feel like I have much more control.

I really want to try a Bryson length putter but I don’t want to change mine incase I hate it, any ideas where I can try one?
Message them here https://www.thegolffactory.co.uk/

It is a second hand shop just outside Newcastle, I know I know, you will have to cross the water :LOL:. They have quite a lot of stock and you may get lucky that they have one in. As good a chance as anywhere and they have a little putting area you can try it out in.

Fabia999

Visit site
Message them here https://www.thegolffactory.co.uk/

It is a second hand shop just outside Newcastle, I know I know, you will have to cross the water :LOL:. They have quite a lot of stock and you may get lucky that they have one in. As good a chance as anywhere and they have a little putting area you can try it out in.

To the dark side? Nah, I’ll just keep 3 putting!

Thanks for recommendation, I’ll check them out!

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mines turned into a bit of a hybrid and I’m loving it! I was and have been majority a conventional with a small dabble in the claw mid 2019, I found it very stable but I found it had a max power of 25ft (we had some huge greens at my old club)

During jan I watch a choob video about having the putter more diagonal in the left hand and a good check was to run the index finger down the leading edge of grip. In a recent game I tried this and with the right hand index finger running down the training edge.

This is an absolute game changer for me, all handsy movement has gone and the distance control is phenomenal. With both hands locked of leaves nothing but a balanced shoulder rock.

Back to the perfect putt mat for the final tweeks but I’m sorted for my putting grip, which is a grip ive always struggled with
Any links?

Left below right for me but I'm struggling on the greens at the moment after a very good year last year.