Putter Change (another putter thread)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently changed back to my old Cleveland 'Anser' style putter, from an Odyssey Versa small mallet (of the type Mickelson uses).

When I first got the Versa I felt the alignment aids really helped me over short putts. However the paint was all chipped, and this bothered me, although didn't impact performance. I am going to do a project over the winter to repair or replace the paintwork on this and at the very least, see if I can get it looking half decent again.

So I decided to give my old putter a go, just to see how things went. This is a milled face, rather than a smooth painted insert.

What a difference. Mainly in judging distance control, especially on longer putts. And not had any problems with shorter putts. I now have a renewed confidence in being able to at least 2 putt from longer distances on bigger greens.

Previously, when I got the Versa (2014) I didn't really understand that putting is more of an art than a science and so was happy to get all the help I could with regards to club tech. But I now believe it is far better to rely on instinct and feel, especially with regards to distance control.

I remember reading Darren Clarke's book and him recalling being on the practice green the night before the Open Championship in 2011. Dr Bob Rotella was there. Bob asked him what he was struggling with and he said, he just couldn't get the distance control on his putting. Clearly a big problem on the large links greens. Bob picked up a ball and threw it across the green to him and asked Darren to throw it back, moving further away and closer in again with each throw. Bob told him that neither of them were thinking about how hard to throw the ball, they were just looking at the target and letting it go.

Clearly you still need to practice in order to have that distance control, and I realise a putter change often yields disproportionately better results early on, but for me I'm going to be focusing on feel and instinct with a fair bit less metal in my hands. And will be applying similar theory to approach game from less than 100 yards, and especially less than 50 yards.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i find a milled faced (scotty) is far easier to control the distance with than an insert putter. just changed to a TM spider and still getting used to it, had 3 games so far, great for inside 15 feet, less so for long putts from off the green etc

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
i find a milled faced (scotty) is far easier to control the distance with than an insert putter. just changed to a TM spider and still getting used to it, had 3 games so far, great for inside 15 feet, less so for long putts from off the green etc

Why not carry 2 putters, like Adam Scott?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not into changing putters, my putter has been in the bag longer than any of the other clubs now. I got fitted for it, decided I liked it and that was that. For putting I kind of agree that the 'technology' side of it is less important, I just wanted to get so used to it that it almost felt like an extension of my own arms, if that makes sense. The weight of my putter and feel of it is second nature to me now so I'm happy to keep it for as long as it hasn't fallen apart!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread, I've been having similar feelings myself recently. I'm just back from playing Carnoustie and the Old Course and I had a caddy on both. Every time, and I mean every time, I had the line spot on before consulting with the caddy. They both commented that my reading of the greens for someone who hadn't been there before was excellent. And most of the time I was able to putt the ball along that line, except that sometimes I leave the face open apparently. But the constant issue was leaving it short, I just couldn't make myself stroke it enough to get it up to the hole. Afterwards my caddy at TOC said I should (1). get on a practice green and practice my putting more cos its by far the weakest part of my game and (2). consider a metal putter, cos the soft (White Hot) insert in the putter I have is doing me no favours.

So to echo the OP - has anyone else here moved from insert to metal?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What's the only putter manufacturer who DOESN'T make a Ping Anser copy?
Ping

There's a reason why they are so popular, they're dam good.
My preferred copy is the YES Callie because of the C grooves

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would you say they're easier to align squarely Bob? I tried strengthening my grip but it just feel very unnatural, every now and them I catch myself but maybe I just need to get better at making sure I'm pointing the putter where I want to!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I use an anser style putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, absolutely beautiful putter that only set me back £70 brand new.

With putting I tend to think it's more the Indian than the arrow. Use whatever it is that suits your eye and feel and whatever one gives you complete confidence.

I think as well, people need to be more realistic with success rates of putts as well, beating yourself up because you're not making every 10 foot putt is a bad way to go, not even the pros do that.

I would thoroughly recommend the new 'The Lost Art of Putting' book, it's very good.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I use an anser style putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, absolutely beautiful putter that only set me back £70 brand new.

With putting I tend to think it's more the Indian than the arrow. Use whatever it is that suits your eye and feel and whatever one gives you complete confidence.

I think as well, people need to be more realistic with success rates of putts as well, beating yourself up because you're not making every 10 foot putt is a bad way to go, not even the pros do that.

I would thoroughly recommend the new 'The Lost Art of Putting' book, it's very good.

Completely agree with all of this. And I will check out the book.

I'm sure the putter I have is the Cleveland Classic that will be very similar to yours. And the price in c. 2011 was pretty similar. £70 rings a bell.

Sure, it would be nice to get a Scotty, but I'm certain I would be kidding myself on if I thought there was any performance benefit. It would be purely a vanity exercise.
Not that I'm not adverse to a bit of vanity, but there's plenty of things I could spend £300 on before this.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Time to confess, my buddies boxed in and got me a £400 voucher for AG.

IT BURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
So to echo the OP - has anyone else here moved from insert to metal?

I have fannied about with different putters all season but made a decision a couple weeks back to stick with my Scotty come what may. have used 4 putters this season, Scotty, White Hot, Ardmore 2 and a Spider, since sticking to my Scotty, I'd say it's the most consistent I've putted all season, and rarely short, infact only the past week have I got the speed right as everything was racing 4/5 feet past.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a milled Odyssey #9, a Ping Sigma Wolverine and an Odyssey O-works V Line. I've tinkered with all at some point in 2018 but gone back to the Ping Cadence Anser, the classic style and guess what, it's the one that I am putting best with and have more confidence again. There's a reason this is the most copied model. It's looks so good behind the book and if technique is fairly competent a joy to take back and through

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Been playing over 25 years and have used a mallet of some sort for 24 3/4 of them.
I've never felt comfortable with an Anser style or any "blade-like" putter.
Mallets suit me and I sunk some footage today with my #7

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to AG on Tuesday with the intent of getting a TM Spider but came away with an Odyssey Jailbird mini and played with it today for 38 points . Quite a change going from a toe hanging milled face Scotty to the soft insert but distance control good and aim a lot better. Feel i need a smaller stroke and the roll of the ball is much better :D

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well that's not helped at all.

😄

Thanks folks, I dug out some old putters under the stairs and will have a tinker this weekend. If I didn't have the voucher I wouldn't be looking! Sound