Putter grip removal

Mike79

Visit site
So I’ve decided to replace by Super Stroke Fatso 5.0 as I basically lost all feel with it.

New grip and tape arriving next week.

Aside from Stanley knife, any suggestions for removal? I don’t have an air compressor to use.

Or just forget the hassle and go with the knife option?

Or, just hold fire and get the local pro to fit it when they open up again?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Superstokes are difficult. to.get off, I've always had to cut them off.

I would only attempt to try and save if I was reusing it.

Mike79

Visit site
Figured difficult as it has a tight fitting disc round the bottom of it, so difficult to open it up to get some solvent in

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve just re- gripped my wedges and woods including driver.
Was quoted £6 per club by a pro.
Probably one of the easiest things I’ve done with absolutely no experience.
Cut mine off with a very sharp pair of scissors instead of a Stanley knife

Mike79

Visit site
Was just hoping to somehow save the Fatso grip in case I go back to it sometime. Maybe I’ll just cut it off as I’m removing it cos it isn’t working for me...

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Was just hoping to somehow save the Fatso grip in case I go back to it sometime. Maybe I’ll just cut it off as I’m removing it cos it isn’t working for me...
If you look on Youtube you can find a video that demonstrates how to remove a grip using a wire coat hanger and solvent.

Basically you undo the twists in the neck of the hanger, straighten it out and then rebend it with one very tight bend. This gets shoved down the grip and solvent pored down, allowing you to push the hanger further in, twisting as you go thus releasing the grip.

It definitely works, I have done it many times, but it is obviously only worth doing on grips which are in really good reusable condition.

For what it is worth I don't think it would work on a Fatso grip, but there's nothing to stop you from trying.

Just had a look and found this one. Note, I have always pushed the hanger all the way to the bottom. I use more solvent and I have never had to use a vice.

Last edited:

Mike79

Visit site
Thanks. Interesting approach. Definitely cheaper than the tools that can be bought, but because of the fitting of the Fatso I’m not sure it will fit in. I’ll give it a try - nothing to lose.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
To be honest, for what you need to spend on tools, and/or probably the damage you'll do to one grip experimenting, just wait for the pro and ask him to save the grip if your goal is to get some money back from it.
I had a new set of clubs with brand-new grips on them which I wanted to change but not destroy. I asked my Pro, but he had no desire what so ever to even attempt saving them. What he had was a nice new hooked stanley blade. I did it myself in no time with nothing but a bit of effort.

I've always been interested in building clubs, only as a hobby and changing grips is just a part of that. Removing them intact was just an extension of the fitting process.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Yeah I agree it's easy if you have the knack, amazing how many pros can't be bothered to either do it or learn.
When I first joined my club, which was nearly thirty years ago there was a standing joke. The Pro and his assistant (now the Pro) were not ones for any form of practising. Yet once a year, just before The Open, they would spend a couple of days hammering balls in preparation for their attempt at Open qualifying. Neither of them ever did, although our current Pro did qualify for the seniors Open a couple of years ago.

As for the shop and Pro type duties, neither of them had the slightest interest and concentrated mostly on playing Alliance comps. Times have change, and he is now a part of a golf equipment franchise. I'm a great believer in (brand) loyalty but because of his stance in the early days I don't feel any loyalty to "my Pro". I support him when I can but I have no problem with sourcing my needs elsewhere.

Mike79

Visit site
Yeah, so the coat hanger isn’t working. Lots on google suggesting air compressor and syringe - I have neither, and the cost to go out and buy is more than a grip. Stanley knife it is then.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I managed to get mine off undamaged but you have to be really patient. Take a knitting needle or something like that with a point and insert it between the grip and shaft. Squirt a bit of WD-40 down there, WD-40 breaks down the adhesive. Take another needle or skewer on the opposite side and squirt more down there, I used quite a lot. Leave it overnight. The following morning squirt more WD-40 and remove the skewers and twist back and forth. It will slowly work itself loose. Your hands will ache at the end but you’ll save your superstroke.

To reuse the old grip you’ll need a nail varnish remover soaked rag, twist it up and push it down the grip trying to remove as much of the WD-40 as possible. Soak in warm soapy water for a while and then rinse with hot water and allow to dry.

Mike79

Visit site
It’s off!! After 45 mins with a knitting needle and lots of WD40, I’m left with sore hands and a putter with no grip.

I used a Stanley knife and it was off in under a minute.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s off!! After 45 mins with a knitting needle and lots of WD40, I’m left with sore hands and a putter with no grip.

I used a Stanley knife and it was off in under a minute.

For future reference I do not see WD40 dissolving the glue. It is a silicon based lubricant not a mineral based solvent.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah I agree it's easy if you have the knack, amazing how many pros can't be bothered to either do it or learn.

Part of the workshop exam is removing grips so no need to learn.
They may not want to pay £90 on the syringe that is used to remove the grips.

To fit the new grips, the cheap paper tape works perfectly or at least it has done for me for 15 years.
Lots of white spirit and you'll be fine.
http://www.adoregolfgrips.com/premi...LSr58nIOQPAlilCBLzP9aVUUIhNCf_sBoCrssQAvD_BwE