Putter fitting or not?

Visit site
I recently had my irons and woods custom fit. Yes, I know...but it has made a difference and it wasn't just psychological.

I'm now wondering about getting my putter properly custom fit. When I had my irons done, the fitter did check the length for me and reduced it to just short of 34" (I'd been playing at 35" previously) and it has helped my posture. However, that's as far as it went.

Through use of iPing and a process of trial and error in the local pro shop, I've worked out that my face balanced putter is obviously wrong for me. I definitely have a slight arc to my stroke and I'm hitting it far better/straighter with putters that have toe hang and a plumb neck.

My technique is decidedly average - and not sufficiently practiced.

So, the question is, do I just plump for a new putter on the basis of feel and then spend some time/money on putting lessons or do I get custom fit? I know I could do both, but time is pretty short at the moment.

From the putters I've tried (and I've tried a lot), the blade version of the Odyssey Tank and the TM Spider blade counterbalanced putters are clearly winning it for me over everything else.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I recently had my irons and woods custom fit. Yes, I know...but it has made a difference and it wasn't just psychological.

I'm now wondering about getting my putter properly custom fit. When I had my irons done, the fitter did check the length for me and reduced it to just short of 34" (I'd been playing at 35" previously) and it has helped my posture. However, that's as far as it went.

Through use of iPing and a process of trial and error in the local pro shop, I've worked out that my face balanced putter is obviously wrong for me. I definitely have a slight arc to my stroke and I'm hitting it far better/straighter with putters that have toe hang and a plumb neck.

So, the question is, do I just plump for a new putter on the basis of feel and then spend some time/money on putting lessons or do I get custom fit? I know I could do both, but time is pretty short at the moment.

From the putters I've tried (and I've tried a lot), the blade version of the Odyssey Tank and the TM Spider blade counterbalanced putters are clearly winning it for me over everything else.

It's your cash, if it makes you happy and, more importantly, more confident over your putts, why not?

I got fitted for my Scotty Cameron in 2012 and haven't looked back. I have absolute confidence in my putter as I know it suits me and my stroke. Peace of mind if you will.

If I miss, that's down to me, but I do practice my putting fairly regularly :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have never been fitted for a putter. I do have a session in a putting lab (http://www.pacheshamgolf.co.uk/sam_putting_studio.htm) as part of a short game assessment I booked. I have no real idea where my stroke goes (in, square, in in my own mind) and just plan to use this as a bit of fun, a chance to see the science behind the putt (cos I'm geeky like that) and maybe get a couple of drills. I am firmly in the "get a putter that looks and feels right for you" camp.

Twin Lakes

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Go for it. I think the putter is the most important club in the bag.
I've just had one built for me (Tom Wishon S2R1)and will be trying it out for the first time tomorrow. I'm not in to all this techy stuff but am now confident I've got the right tool for the job.

I'm not a good putter so felt I needed to do all I could.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

Speaking from experience, and dozens of putters, NO. Save your money. Find one you're comfortable with, especially the look and feel, and stick with it. Then, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

According to the iPing app, I too have a slight arc stroke, but I putt with a face balanced putter. It works and I no longer get wrapped up in 'stroke types'. By the way, the Spider Blade and Tank are both face balanced I think.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The advice I received from someone which worked a charm was to 'fit yourself'

The process was described as follows, go to a shop that has a large selection of putters and a proper putting green. Take every single putter that takes your fancy out onto the putting green with 3 of the balls you play with. Hit each putter from 3 feet, 6 feet, 15 feet and 35 feet. Give yourself 2 points for a 1-putt, 1 point for a 2-putt, 0 for a 3-putt and -1 for a 4-putt.

Measure each putter from each distance, add up the scores and by the end of this process which should take about 1.5 hours you will have got it down to 1 or 2 putters, the top scoring putter and perhaps the 2nd best which you might like the look of. If any doubt whatsoever repeat the process with your 'shortlist'. For a couple of hours of time you will leave with a putter that works best for you, you will already have got some good practice in and the confidence in your putter will also be well on its way.

I tried this and it worked for me, so just putting it out there. Might be too time consuming for some.

Best of luck

Visit site
The advice I received from someone which worked a charm was to 'fit yourself'

I like this - have already done the "lite" version, but I tend to agree that its me that's got to be comfortable with the thing and "feel" is everything on and around the green. When my technique is better, I can think about refining it further.
...just putting it out there...

That's the aim! :eek:ne:

Wendy

Hacker
Visit site
Putting is the easiest part of the game. Every putt is straight, just remember that. Its all about pace, get the pace right, thats all you need to worry about.

lefty56

Visit site
I recently invested in a new putter, resulting in a boost of confidence, however I then invested in a lesson on the putting green. a couple of suggestions from the pro have been taken on board and results to date have been encouraging, 3 putts have been reduced and I am now looking forward to the new season with increased enthusiasm. I suggest a lesson first would be more beneficial.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one advantage putter fitting has over iron fitting is that you are generally putting from a perfect lie so posture will be the same 99% of the time therefore length, lie angle, and grip thickness all contribute to a repeatable stroke. So whilst I am more than skeptical about the benefit of CF for the handicap golfer for irons I can see the advantage of getting a putter you are confident with being fitted to you.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting is the easiest part of the game. Every putt is straight, just remember that. Its all about pace, get the pace right, thats all you need to worry about.

Haven't read the Aimpoint thread then.....!? :whistle:

If you are set up correctly with a consistent and repeatable stroke then I don't see the harm in it.

I got fitted by Ping from here and, at the time, I was a horrendous putter with terrible setup. I had a strong arc and was fitted accordingly.

However I had a lesson after my putting deteriorating to such a degree I made Lee Westwood look like Brad Faxon and now have a consistent stroke but isn't as strong an arc. Found a putter I am very comfortable with and practicing with it has made a bigger difference for me.

Wendy

Hacker
Visit site
Putting is all feel. Just people over complicating things again. Pick the the line, couple of quick looks and stroke.