Putter DIY

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning,

I’m currently wafting an old Odyssey #6 around, to reasonable effect, but I would like to make the head a little heavier. I’ve bought enough lead tape to build a submarine, which aren’t in fact made of lead, that would be a terrible idea, what with lead sinking an’ all. Anyway, where do I apply the lead tape to make the head heavier without bodging it up completely?

I’ve read around on the net and the general consensus is on the sole? Should it be equally distributed across the entire length of the sole? Or Heel and toe? Not trying to change the balance of the putter so to speak, just increase the overall head weight a little. (Changing the grip not an option, love the grip I have on it).

Here is a photo I prepared earlier to aid in my quest.

Thanks in advance all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 65

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put it on the sole of a putter & it will interfere a good ways with the ability to sit the putter square on the ground to aim.
Biggest percentage of missed putts around 15ft & under is down to incorrect face angle both at aim & impact.
With a putter your dealing with miniscule margins of error in aim because of the shorter distances the ball travels.

Best answer would be to find a putter with a heavier head.

My take would be not something I'd recommend, but if you had to do it, I'd be looking to put a complete strip not on the bottom of the sole for sure, but inside the return at back of putter, the part you'd slide under a ball to pick it up. That way at least you don't destroy either the ability for the putter to sit square, or have something that will snag the green during the stroke.

But overall I'd be looking for a heavier putter, cause if you are not very careful you'll destroy the heel toe balance which could make it a good ways difficult to consistently get the face angle square through impact.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Morning,

I’m currently wafting an old Odyssey #6 around, to reasonable effect, but I would like to make the head a little heavier. I’ve bought enough lead tape to build a submarine, which aren’t in fact made of lead, that would be a terrible idea, what with lead sinking an’ all. Anyway, where do I apply the lead tape to make the head heavier without bodging it up completely?

I’ve read around on the net and the general consensus is on the sole? Should it be equally distributed across the entire length of the sole? Or Heel and toe? Not trying to change the balance of the putter so to speak, just increase the overall head weight a little. (Changing the grip not an option, love the grip I have on it).

Here is a photo I prepared earlier to aid in my quest.

Thanks in advance all

Another option would be to adjust the swing weight by adding a lighter grip.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could also put some shaft tip weights in as well.but that means taking apart.or take the grip off and add some weight down the bottom of the shaft with some tungsten powder with cork stoppers.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
What is the putter head like from the top?

You could cut the Lead tape to size to fit to the top of the Putter, you just need to be very careful that the balance remains the same so as not to affect your stroke too much. If it has a cut out behind the face, you can put a couple of layer in there. Just check the Rules to see how it might affect using it as to whether it would still conform.