Pushing ball with right hand

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right lads can you sort this out for me please – Thank You in advance.

At impact I’m flipping my right hand over way too much with my driver and causing a massive ugly hook and with my irons a savage draw shape – ending left of my target. How can I stop this?

I have been practising hitting shots with just my left hand and having my right just resting on the club but it don’t seem to be working. I had a lesson two weeks ago on just GASP before I knuckle down in the new year and sort my game out so that’s all sorted at the moment.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Get those hips working.

Hooking is often the hands leading the swing whilst the body stays static. Make sure your hips lead the way and open through impact... trust it... rip it :)

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try hitting a ball off a high tee with a five iron. Only use a half swing and concentrate on clipping the ball off the top of the tee without having any wrist action. If you cn hit the ball straight then move on to a full swing and again concentrate on clipping the ball off the tee.

This was a drill I have recently been working on to reduce the amount of wrist action in my swing.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aim to hold off the club with the left hand at impact. You should feel like the back of your left hand goes down the target line. Right now, it is probably the thumbs pointing down the target line.

You can also imagine you are trying to hit a fade, and pull harder with the left hand through impact.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try giving yourself a stronger left hand so you see 3 knuckles,this will give the right hand less room too flip over,i played recently with the biggest hooker ever hes changed to the above grip it hasnt cured him completely but its much beter.

DCB

Visit site
PJ
Try giving yourself a stronger left hand so you see 3 knuckles,this will give the right hand less room too flip over

Will that not subsequently put the right hand in a very strong position which will exacerbate the situation ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So you're advising a golfer with a hook to strengthen his left hand? Interesting :D
I agree with James, and make sure your grip isn't too strong.
If you're apprehensive about hooking, you tend to stop turning through the shot and the momentum of the swing flips the hands over, causing the hook.
Make sure you pull your left hip back on the downswing with the weight finishing on the inside of the left foot
HTH Hywel

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thoughout last season I was always fighting the pull/hook with the driver and my natural shape with irons is a draw. This is ok if you can control it. However after one too many trips to the left hand trees I decided I wanted a more consistent shape/swing call it what you like. I wanted rid of that pesky hook that would cause a double/treble every round.

I retired to practice ground to work on a solution to cure all possibility of going left. It took a couple of weeks solid work but I got there and my scores started to reflect this (several rounds around 74/75). Not one shot hit left of target and in no trouble whatsoever off the tee. I now feel I have control of flight and shape and can commit fully to the shot with no fear of turning it over and going left.

My simple solution was to turn my left hand inwards and my right hand inwards (no idea if that means strong or weak) on the grip. Pretty much going too far if you like , but assuming that it would naturally settle back a little when I got comfortable with it. To start with everything would go straight right but not too far (like hitting the right edge of the green from 150). This I could cope with as no more lefties. Then it was just a case of work , work , work on it. Then whammo ...it clicks and all is well in the world and no more wild shots to the left

I really am looking forward to this years golf now with only rare visits to the left of the course

Sorry for the long post but you know how it is when you get typing

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
PJ
Try giving yourself a stronger left hand so you see 3 knuckles,this will give the right hand less room too flip over

Will that not subsequently put the right hand in a very strong position which will exacerbate the situation ?

Maybe this worked for one person - there is no accounting for the variations in humanity - but for most, it would be a recipe for adding smothering to the duck hook.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd make sure that you have thoroughly checked your grip.

I was fighting a snap hook for a while and my grip had become quite strong which caused a flatter swing. I then really focussed on swinging out to 1 o'clock (if 12 is the target line). Between these two things, it has helped me no end.

It's still my bad shot though when under pressure.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
As we all appreciate we all have our own idea of the grip im sure, and i believe playing with a grip with both vs over the right shoulder is the way to go.The main reason players hook is because they whip the right hand over too fast in an uncontrolled fashion trying to get a draw,the player i play with had the worst hook ever having a stronger left hand has helped but not cured it completeley.As most people know on this site im self taught,but i believe in trial and error and practice.Also the player i play with has the worst set up ever,but he wont go to the range to sort the problem but will moan about it every round.If you have a problem go to the range and practice and try new things it will only help

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As we all appreciate we all have our own idea of the grip im sure, and i believe playing with a grip with both vs over the right shoulder is the way to go.The main reason players hook is because they whip the right hand over too fast in an uncontrolled fashion trying to get a draw,the player i play with had the worst hook ever having a stronger left hand has helped but not cured it completeley.As most people know on this site im self taught,but i believe in trial and error and practice.Also the player i play with has the worst set up ever,but he wont go to the range to sort the problem but will moan about it every round.If you have a problem go to the range and practice and try new things it will only help

I'm afraid I dont agree with most of that.
The only thing I do agree with is your friend may indeed have the worst set up ever.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
why?can you explain please

You are basically saying that a strong left hand can oppose a strong right one.

The conventional opinion is that the hands tend to return to neutral at impact, so if set strong at address, close the face and the opposite for weak. That applies to either or both hands.

Maybe your mate had a vice like grip that he really held off at impact, and was able to do that better with a string grip, but most people who add a strong left hand to an existing hook will only make it worse.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To avoid the risk of boring everyone else, I'll keep it brief.
The V's don't point at the right shoulder.
You dont cure a hook by strengthening the left hand.
The main reason people hook isn't because they whip their right hand over uncontrollably.
Going to the range and trying new things out will not only help.
I do appreciate you are only trying to help, but there's more to golf than passing on tips you've heard from someone else or read in a book.
You've done really well getting down to 12, but to give out advice to beginers which isn't quite correct can cause all kinds of confusion to someone who doesn't have your knowledge of the game.
I also say it as I see it. ;)