Provisional Ball Question

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On Sunday in our Bogie comp, I hit a lovely drive on our S.I. 1 12th hole, then proceeded to shank my 2nd shot into the trees. Knowing that the trees often eat balls for fun and also there is OOB the other side, I decided to play a provisional. I struck the provisional well, so well that it actually went in the hole for a par.

My question is, should I have then looked for the other ball and played that if found and not OOB or could I declare it lost and take the par?

None of us were sure of the rule on the day.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I have understood lately you can't actually ever declare a ball "lost". You could just claim stroke and distance penalty and play a close to the spot as your last shot, so yeah you could have just taken the par.

Could be wrong though!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Once the ball is in the hole you have finished the hole in question. You could have looked for your ball, found it and popped it back in your pocket with no worry

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once the ball is in the hole you have finished the hole in question. You could have looked for your ball, found it and popped it back in your pocket with no worry

Even tho he had declared it a provisional ?? does it not remain provisional , until 1st ball is found in or out of bounds or the 5 min search elapses ? i would have thought he had the option to just walk on & take par , but his playing partners could have looked for it & if found in play within the 5 min the provisional would automaticaly void ?

doesnt this take away the option of luckily finding the 1st , chipping it on & making birdie ?
Dont know the answer so just wondering

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
i always thought you had to do something further before the ball could be considered holed, eg pick it out of the hole.

So you better have your running gear on to get to the whole before someone finds the original.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

nearly.....

once you have taken the provisional ball out of the hole it becomes the ball in play, provided you do so before the original ball is found in bounds within 5 min.

there is no requirement for you to search for it, but if someone else finds 'it' you are required to identify it.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I have understood lately you can't actually ever declare a ball "lost". You could just claim stroke and distance penalty and play a close to the spot as your last shot, so yeah you could have just taken the par.

Could be wrong though!!

Fair sure he would have to accept the penalty or play a provisional before he replayed , accept the penalty the hole is finished , play a provisional its expected (but not a requirement) to at least look for the 1st ball .. hoew hard or how long under 5 mins you look , well thats another thing.. would i insist on you looking or insist i go & look for your ball for 5 mins ? no i wouldnt

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
i always thought you had to do something further before the ball could be considered holed, eg pick it out of the hole.

So you better have your running gear on to get to the whole before someone finds the original.

nearly.....

once you have taken the provisional ball out of the hole it becomes the ball in play, provided you do so before the original ball is found in bounds within 5 min.

there is no requirement for you to search for it, but if someone else finds 'it' you are required to identify it.

Nice one , Thank you both

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
nearly.....

Agreed, I should have added that bit

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well as it turned out I went over picked the ball out of the hole and then one of my playing partners found my first ball and gave it back. I was worried that I may have done something wrong but turns out it was ok.

Thanks for the advice guys.