Project X shafts

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last week I was trying out a set of AP2's. The club pro handed me the demo set and told me to have fun. I loved the clubs but have a few q's on the shafts.

From what I seen they where cracking shafts, with loads of feel, though a but harsh on the one I thinned (4I ouch). Ball flight was very steep then really penetrating and landed lovley. My current Irons just balooned into the wind on testing day. Most shots where straight or a light draw depending on address position - I did however get the odd weak fade. Thus I was wondering about the different shaft variations offered.

My current shaft is the Regular TaylorMade RE*AX Superfast Steel 90g. I find these nice but a bit soft. The Project X was a 5.5 I found the 5.5 firmer than the TM but it also seemed to love me taking divots, when I did the ball just fizzed and went like a crazed white thing. Improving the ball flight even more :)

All I can find is the fact the the Project-X range from 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5 & 7.0. I persume this is some measure of torque or similar shaft description.

Can someone explain? What do the 5.0-7.0 stand for?

B

birdieman

Comparing Rifles to TT300's a regular would be a 5.0, firm a 5.5, stiff a 6.0 etc or pretty close to that. I think Rifles and Project X numbers would mean the same, not 100% on that though.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I play project x for that reason the flat ball flight no more balloning for me,they are also i touch lighter than x100s so i get a stiff shaft but not too heavy.

I saw somewhere that the project x is a little stiffer than the standard rifles so go

5.0 reg,5.5 stiff,6.0 x stiff,6.5 xxstiff,7.0xxxstiff but they lauch the ball high best of both worlds control and forgiving

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Pointless post coming up, I hate rifles, they are too light, and I can't feel what the shaft/club is doing. I prefer True temper dynamic gold. I can't see why these would balloon, you just need to put a proper swing on them.

If you haven't tried them, give them a go.

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Love Dynamic Golds, proberly the best shaft for the averaqge club golfer. I have the Dynamic Gold S300's and won't be changing them any time soon.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I had the s300s in my old blades and they used to ballon like crazy,wrong flex,i tried the x100s and they where great just too heavy so i got project x in xstiff which are simllar in weight to s300s

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've got 5.0 project X's in my X-20 Tours and to be honest I've never hit the ball better than I am now. Always played DG or Dynalite Gold in the past with no issues to speak of but the X's are great. Took a bit of getting used to looking down at them as I've been used to stepped shafts on irons.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I nearly bought some X20 Tours & found The shafts some of the best responsive shafts I've played. Great penetrative flight, great feel.

Although I love the clubs I'm now playing I'd in an ideal world like Project X or similar shafts in these Pings of mine. Only financial constraints prevent me, as I know changing a shaft in a complete set is not going to be a cheap job, no matter what is fitted. On top of that, there is really little wrong with My S57's