Project X shafts

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking for some info on the above shafts, does a PX flighted 6.0 play the same as a PX 6.0 , are they the same as a Rifle 6.0, cheers in advance

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The flighted have a variable kick point as you progress through the set, so you get a lower launch from your short irons (higher kick point) and a higher launch from your long irons (lower kick point) whereas the others have a fixed kick point and to my knowledge the non flighted appear to play a bit stiffer, though I expect Ethan will be able to give you a more detailed answer.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Fundy thanks for your input , im sure Ethan will be along shortly,so do you reckon 6.0 flighted play the same as 5.5 non flighted

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Theyre not quite apples and pears because of the different way the flighteds are changed through the set, obviously you are going to get a different result if you compare say 4 irons and then wedges

Im sure in the past Ive heard the difference be put as half a 0.5 step (so half way between 5.5 and 6.0s)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The short version is that Project X play stiffer than either Rifles or PX flighted by about 0.5, so PX 5.5 = Rifle 6.0 = PX Flighted 6.0.

The longer version is that Flighted are a different beast from either of the non-flighted versions and have a different progression of weight between irons and as a result a different feel, so they don't simply compare on flex alone. In some ways the PX flighted are like a stronger and heavier version of the AWTs.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I found PX5.5s (satin finish, so original) very 'harsh' for my 'swinger' swing. Changing back to Rifle 6.0 was much better - specially for my hands, which hurt on Mondays after 2 rounds on links with the PXs.

PX (and very probably PX Flighted) are suited to the Paul Casey style swing as opposed to the Luke Donald one - he uses DG S300s.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found PX5.5s (satin finish, so original) very 'harsh' for my 'swinger' swing. Changing back to Rifle 6.0 was much better - specially for my hands, which hurt on Mondays after 2 rounds on links with the PXs.

PX (and very probably PX Flighted) are suited to the Paul Casey style swing as opposed to the Luke Donald one - he uses DG S300s.

PX were designed to be 'boardy', i.e. to have very little give in them, so many people do find them harsh. I used a set of 5.5 PX in MP62s and found them fine, but certainly less smooth than Rifles.