Professional Rankings

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
This was just after completing the Tiger Slam:

View attachment 52946

And that wasn't even the peak!! That (total points and gap to second) came the following month after wins in Germany and at Memorial.
Wow! Tiger was exceptional, but, interestingly, it also reinforces a point - the competition behind Tiger holds an international interest not purely related to nationality. Els, Westwood and Montgomerie played a lot (majority?) of their golf on the European Tour with their performances being recognized by the OWGR. PM was not the much maligned character he is now and had the publics interest. Whilst Scheffler is not the 2nd coming of Tiger, he's also not likely to start playing DPWT tournaments, bar 'practice' ones around the Open. Arguably the graphic shows a standout player (what we have now) whilst being more than single-tour-centric. All that being said, and there is a baby involved which might derail things, but imagine if Scottie did complete the Slam in a single season.....

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I don’t know how Smoth can be called top 10 on current form when he isn’t one of the top 10 in LIV rankings this season.
Niemann, Rahm & Burmester are the top 3 at present.
But are ranking and form the same thing? That's one reason why all the ranking lists differ, different weightings recent form verses longer term.
I agree Smith's form going into the Masters was pretty poor, and I was surprised how he did there.
If you take the extreme of 1 event of form, he finished top 7 out of the apparent top 60 or so in the world. Looks like bookies currently have him in the top 10 for US PGA (know their prime focus is making money which can skew).
You mentioned liv rankings, seems he was 2nd in 2023.
Tricky stuff rankings. Personally I'd have him in top 15 I think.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Cam has obviously withdrawn from a LIV event this year which will have affected his ranking in those standings. He's also had a 41st on a course that he probably doesn't favour, given he was 25th there last year (Jeddah).

Be interesting to see how he goes this week, I'd expect him to be contending.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
But are ranking and form the same thing? That's one reason why all the ranking lists differ, different weightings recent form verses longer term.
I agree Smith's form going into the Masters was pretty poor, and I was surprised how he did there.
If you take the extreme of 1 event of form, he finished top 7 out of the apparent top 60 or so in the world. Looks like bookies currently have him in the top 10 for US PGA (know their prime focus is making money which can skew).
You mentioned liv rankings, seems he was 2nd in 2023.
Tricky stuff rankings. Personally I'd have him in top 15 I think.
Similarly Rory is having a spell of poor form. Only 1 win this season. But does that mean he isn’t world no2? I think others have been conflating rankings with form.

Swango1980

Visit site
Scheffler is clear No. 1 in everyone's eyes. No problem.

But, there are about 48 golfers who have been unable to get ranking points for quite some time (or limited events to get them). Inevitably, over last couple of years when Scheffler didn't win an event, some of them would finish ahead of him and rob him of a few points. One or 2 of them may even to well enough to be in 2nd spot, ahead of McIlroy. So, the gap Scheffler has now would probably be a lot less if these golfers still competed against him regularly.

Just imagine how far ahead Woods would be if you removed 48 golfers of that era from getting ranking points, a handful of them being top golfers.

wjemather

Visit site
Looking at the Clutch Tour being welcomed into the OWGR cartel and I can't help thinking why, and what's the point?
There is so little to separate players on 3rd/4th tier tours who are miles away from competing at the highest level, that the rankings can't possibly do a remotely accurate job of ordering them, so why bother? Ranking players that low just makes no sense and serves no need or purpose.
The announcement gives the impression that it's about controlling the tours. Maybe that is it. At least it would make sense.

Last edited: