Problems since changing grip

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
Quite new to the forum as only took golf up August last year, I have had 1 lesson at the end of last year and the pro completely changed the way I grip the club which has benefited me drastically for my iron's but I cannot drive at all anymore. I cannot seem to get under the ball and when I do I get a slice. I have currently been teeing off with a 3 iron and hitting 150-200yds sometimes further than people are driving but I would like to put my driver and woods back into my set. Does anyone have any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Is the swing that different from and Iron to a Driver?

Thanks in advance for any conclusion.

Danny

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have already tried that. I am not sure if it is the change of grip or change of swing tbh. He completely changed my swing as well which I am guessing is to suit an iron and not a driver, if there is any difference?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have already tried that. I am not sure if it is the change of grip or change of swing tbh. He completely changed my swing as well which I am guessing is to suit an iron and not a driver, if there is any difference?

Can be. Many would say there shouldn't be, but that's pretty difficult with an impliment at times almost/over a foot longer than you are using for other shots!

I'd suggest you harass the Pro a little.

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can be. Many would say there shouldn't be, but that's pretty difficult with an impliment at times almost/over a foot longer than you are using for other shots!

I'd suggest you harass the Pro a little.

Will be going for another lesson soon, just strapped for cash during Christmas.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd stick with the grip mate, as I've learned recently the driver swing feels a lot different to an iron one. More like you're sweeping the ball off the tee if you get what I mean.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is fundamentally no difference in a iron swing and a driver swing. Its been said before that you want to hit the ball with a driver on a ascending blow so for this reason the ball is normally played forward in your stance.

My guess is that your psyche changes with a driver in your hand and you feel that you have to swing harder to get the ball airbourne. Swing like you have a 7 iron in your hand, nice and easy and don't think of hitting the ball at the top of the backswing. Infact don't think of hitting the ball at all, try concentrating on taking the club back nice and slowly and then swinging back all the way through to a high finish. Try not to focus too much on the ball for a few swings and see what difference it makes.

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is fundamentally no difference in a iron swing and a driver swing. Its been said before that you want to hit the ball with a driver on a ascending blow so for this reason the ball is normally played forward in your stance.

My guess is that your psyche changes with a driver in your hand and you feel that you have to swing harder to get the ball airbourne. Swing like you have a 7 iron in your hand, nice and easy and don't think of hitting the ball at the top of the backswing. Infact don't think of hitting the ball at all, try concentrating on taking the club back nice and slowly and then swinging back all the way through to a high finish. Try not to focus too much on the ball for a few swings and see what difference it makes.

That was similar information one of my mates gave me. He said but a tee behind the ball as you are looking at it and concentrate on this instead of the ball. I will give this a go at the range tomorrow. I am out on a long course on Saturday that I have never played and would like to add my driver to my bag.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If cash is tight ( been there and know the frustration) then I recommend you look at videojug . Com and click on the sports then golf . There are some very good videos on there that explain what can go wrong and how to avoid those shots.

dannyboi91

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all the advice and I can how happily say I can take my driver on the course with me, hitting anything from 200yds to 250yds. Not always straight but this is something I can work on.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good news. Important not to lash with it either, let the club and your swing dynamics impart club head speed, margins that bit finer and hence challenge for straightness.