Pro "to give up".....can't make it pay..?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just heard the news that a local pro is to sell up his stock, quit the job and move to pastures new. I know this chap quite well, and he works at one of the better clubs in this area.
I suspect it might have something to do with lack of support for the business (this needs to be investigated).

I wonder if this is the way things are going? I use my pro for balls, gloves, all sorts and when possible, clubs.
I'm feeling bad about buying two recent purchases on the 'net, one (a rescue) because it was a bargain and my driver (FT-3) because they are not current stock and the new Callaway models are twice the price.

Anyone reckon the days are numbered for their pro?

Dave

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
It makes me very sad to read this.

At the end of the day Dave you have supported the pro so 2 purchases aren't the end of the world.

I support my pro's out of 1)loyalty and 2) as I am in business they come to me when they want to buy a car, need paintwork, mot's, repairs etc. For me it is a 2 way thing.

I know many guys who wouldn't support their pro if they could get a dozen balls 20p cheaper elsewhere, that is the way some people are.

The pro at my mates club earns a very good living from his salary & teaching. He runs the shop for a commission but doesn't own the stock minimising risk. This seems to work well for him.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use my pro for lessons, quite a few. I buy a lot of gear on the internet and he is very understanding about this. Realises he cannot compete and keeps a fairly limited stock.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure how our pro does it, but he is matching and in some instances beating prices for clubs I want.

So far since I changed clubs I have been buying all my gear off him, couldn't be happier.

T

thecraw

In all honesty the day of the local club pro is limited. Ebay has killed off many. You can but Callaway x18's for £250.

I go for lessons a few times a year and buy club crested shirts etc. However when it comes down to it I will always go on price. I recently bought a £280 gore-tex suit off of the internet because it was reduced to £159. My pro claims he couldnt even buy it at that price!

Even golf balls, I like the Taylor Made black, £10 a sleave in the pro shop £25 on ebay + £3 postage for a dozen. I will support my pro where possible and had my irons re-shafted from him this year, but the bottom line is if its £120 cheaper online (my waterproofs) then thats where I will buy it.